M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 Loose Primers Pockets.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daboone

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  09:00:54 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly this may be the last post by me on this site because of its closure.

Went shooting real early with 6 of my kids and a good friend on Saturday. My kid know the rules, one being leave no brass behind.

Yesterday I got busy tumbling that load of range pickup. I noticed 2 small rifle primer mixed in with the SS pins. On checking the M1 Carbine brass sure enough 2 cases were missing primers. :shock:

I load my M1 Carbine on a 550 so I don't always take the time to "feel" the primer seating. Lesson learned, thankfully before anything nasty happened.

Just thought I'd pass this on as a reminder that primer pockets get loose. From now on primer seating will get more attention especially on seriously recycled brass.

jimb16

USA
3168 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  7:15:59 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they do wear out. No brass lasts forever. While it is a bit of a nuisance, the condition isn't dangerous. I've had it happen a number of times. I've never had any problem with a primer getting stuck in the action. The carbine just keeps on ticking, just like the old Timex watch.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

daboone

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  09:32:49 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't there a danger of the gas cutting/etching the bolt face due to loose primer pockets and not just because of excessive pressure?
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3168 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  7:47:21 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possible, but remember, carbines work at lower pressures. And gas cutting or the bolt face isn't a real problem since it really only effects precision target rifles. These old warhorses couldn't care less.

Go to Top of Page

daboone

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  08:59:25 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this reply. I'm 72. Started reloading under my dad's tutelage and have been doing it ever since. Thus proving some of my "education" needed updating. Old dogs can learn new tricks. I'm going to miss you folks and this site.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3168 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  2:52:42 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 69+ and my FIL taught me before I married his daughter, so I got 2 great things from him! Look for Tuna and me on some of the other carbine sights. We'll be hangin' around. I promise we won't disappear.

Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  11:49:32 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey are you suggesting that my big primer is...loose????? (My wife would most likely agree with you.)
Go to Top of Page

MrJitters
Veteran Member

USA
1933 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  4:40:15 PM  Show Profile Send MrJitters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
30 Carbine brass lasts a long time, but not forever. Sorta like me at 69+

MAGA!

Edited by - MrJitters on 09/21/2018 4:41:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2