M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Hand-guard will not securely fasten to Plainfield
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark from Dallas
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  3:01:25 PM  Show Profile Send Mark from Dallas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought my first M1 Carbine recently, and am new to this forum.

It's a Plainfield M1 that I rescued from a pawn shop. After cleaning and inspection, the gunsmith said it shows little wear, and may have been infrequently used.

It shoots fine and looks great, but hand-guards will not stay in place while shooting. It came with an original looking and matching stock/hand-guard. The metal extension at the rear of the hand-guard fits fine under the metal lip at the top front of the receiver. But the front band assembly barely covers the hand-guard's front wooden lip. Most of this lip is exposed even though the front locking spring is fully indexed with the front band. It looks like the hand-guard is just a bit too short to be fully secured by the front band.

After assembly, the hand-guard is tightly attached. But the shock of firing will cause the hand-guard to come loose from the front band after a few rounds. The front band remains tight and secure on the barrel.

I purchased a paratrooper stock and had the same problem with its hand-guard (which is almost exactly the same size as the original one). I also purchased a separate hand-guard hoping for better result, but it also pops loose when shooting.

So I'm having the same problem with two different stocks and three hand-guards.

What to do?

Mark Edmondson

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
369 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  4:05:27 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The commercial carbines were not built to the close tolerances as the USGI examples. Not bashing the Plainfield and they are usually considered the better commercial gun. I have two commercials which suffered the same fate. You may be able to build-up the area on the front of the hand guard with some wood filler. My eventual fix was just keep trying to find a hand guard that would work. It's a matter of trial and error. It's not practical unless you have a source for surplus hand guards, which I once did. You may also be able to block the depth of the cut in the receiver where the metal strip goes which will prevent the guard from sliding all way to the rear. Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Unfortunately there is no easy or inexpensive solution to your problem with the hand guard. It's likely that both the hand guard and the stock are at fault with each of them contributing to the mismatch. As already said, this is common to many commercial carbines. Perhaps one thing that might work is to obtain a Plainfield metal hand guard. At least with metal you might be able to bend the end tabs enough to better engage with your stock and barrel band. Other than replacing your stock with a USGI stock and hand guard, I don't know what else to tell you.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Mark from Dallas
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  6:41:59 PM  Show Profile Send Mark from Dallas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aboy and JackP- Thank you for your input and the welcome.

Based on what you said, one solution may be a hand-guard with a longer metal extension. At least one company still makes these in the US; do you know a direct contact? I'd like to ask if they would make one with this simple mod.

Mark Edmondson
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3168 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  6:29:43 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before you start buying anything, try slipping a piece of wire under the lip on the receiver to prevent the hand-guard from moving to the rear. And turn up the rear corners of the metal on the rear of the hand-guard just a little bit. This often cures the problem.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  7:21:18 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Jimb16's suggestion doesn't work for you try Numrich. They sell several different flavors of carbine hand guards.

You must be logged in to see this link.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Mark from Dallas
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  9:39:09 PM  Show Profile Send Mark from Dallas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jim- Good tip; I'll try it. The only downside is if the hand-guard is moved forward, the cut out on its right side won't match the cut out on the stock. A minor thing if it works.

Jack- Coincidentally, I called Numrich a few hours before I read your post (what are the odds). They suggested I post on their "employee managed" Forum to ask if their staff would check their stock for a hand-guard that's longer than normal. Two or three millimeters would do it.
I'll let you know if this pans out.

Mark Edmondson
Go to Top of Page

Mark from Dallas
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  09:44:56 AM  Show Profile Send Mark from Dallas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally, an update.

I talked with Numrich, and they sent two wood hand-guards with their rear metal extensions not installed, but provided separately with rivets. I had my gunsmith drill two additional holes in the extensions so they could be located further back to match the clamp at the rear of the receiver.

This worked great. The hand-guard is secure, and it's nicely aligned with the corresponding cut out on the side of the stock (it wasn't before). The extra holes in the metal extension are not visible with the hand-guard installed.

I also tried a metal hand-guard, but it was also too short.

Thank you all for the help and ideas.

Anybody need a metal hand-guard, cheap?

Mark Edmondson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2