M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 Carbine markings questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

M1fanatic1995
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  5:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send M1fanatic1995 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I recently became the proud owner of a very nice m1 carbine, s# 23,467.
I have identified mostly all of the parts, so far it is around 75% "original" or just inland for that matter.

However I have run into a couple of off balls. First off, my bolt is a flat bolt. There is no visible marking on the right lug that I can see, but on the left lug there is an upside down "DI".

Second, my gas cylinder has some strange markings I can't find any information about.it has an "R A" and then some other strange symbols that are either a foreign language or symbolic. As a new member I cannot figure out how to upload a picture.

My last question is, does anyone have any idea around what month this carbine was produced? My barrel is an inland marked "12 42" and would like to know if the barrel is original or not.

Any help is appreciated!

Trey Dudley

Tuna

3323 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  6:37:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The barrel date would be right for your serial number. The DI is a bolt made for Inland. The RA, could that be RI instead of RA? If so that would be correct for Inland too but there are no RA listed. ON the flat of the barrel there are marks and symbols on an Inland barrel. These are inspection and machining step markings and are only found on Inland barrels.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  7:07:19 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Trey and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Looks like you have an early Inland carbine which would have had a flat bolt, so maybe yours is original. The "DI" mark on the bolt sounds correct too. It was probably made for Inland by Dayton Racquet Company.

The markings on the barrel near the gas cylinder are often referred to as the "Inland Hieroglyphics". They are inspector's marks. It's also likely that your barrel is original to your carbine based on the SN on the receiver and manufacturing date of the barrel. Barrels were usually installed soon after their manufacturing date so I bet your carbine was completed in early 1943. Maybe someone else will chime in with a closer estimate.

Posting pictures has been tough. Try to find an image hosting web site that you can download your pictures to and then post the link here. Then we can visit that web site and view your pictures. Some image hosting web sites are pricey, others may be temporary as the postings can expire. If that happens, your picture will disappear from the forum. I'm using Imgur.com for now but I always keep a backup image on my own computer. You cannot download to the forum directly from your computer. This protects the forum from virus's, etc. There are instructions on how to display your images on the forum from the image hosting web site here:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

42 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another thumbs up for Imgur - they were easy to set up with and very user friendly...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2