M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 .30 Carbine Case & Ammunition Gauge - For Check
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jski

56 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  01:06:16 AM  Show Profile Send jski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this on another forum. Thought you guys might be interested:

You must be logged in to see this link.

quote:
Product description

The Shooters Box case and ammunition gauges are manufactured right here in Malden Massachusetts, by American workers on American machines! Made from Stainless Steel and built to last a lifetime. Each gauge is manufactured to S.A.A.M.I (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) chamber / headspace specifications. The gauge will measure the maximum cartridge length (full overall length), the minimum and maximum case length, the maximum case diameter and the minimum and maximum headspace. A loaded cartridge should fit freely and easily into the gauge. A cartridge that does fit properly may not correspond to the proper chamber dimensions. Place a clean cartridge into the gauge and make sure that it is completely seats by itself with no assistance to seat it. The head of the bras should sit flush within the lower or upper step of the gauge. If the cartridge sits higher than the upper step then your brass might be too long. It's easy to check by eye or with the help of a straight edge or steel rule. With the cartridge in the gauge check the backside to make sure the tip (bullet end) is not protruding outside the back face of the gauge. If the tip of the bullet protrudes from the end of the gauge it is longer than the maximum allowed cartridge length. It is If the cartridge does not easily drop into the gauge without assistance there is most likely something wrong with the dimensions of your cartridge. Any ammunition shown in pictures is purely for representation purposes and is not included with the purchase of this gauge.

daboone

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  5:42:57 PM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm thinking this is a waste of money. Calipers for length and the mark 1 eyeball for rim problems. Case gauge for bottlenecked cartridges are helpful. But for the straight walled cases (even with the M1 Carbine slight taper) I'd rather spend my money on components. Sorry if this sound negative but I just don't think it would be helpful or necessary for reloading the M1 Carbine.
Go to Top of Page

jski

56 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  11:52:37 AM  Show Profile Send jski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want something quick, simple, and reliable, I don't think you can't beat the case and ammunition gauges. And they're commonly used for straight wall pistol cases.

Edited by - jski on 02/27/2018 11:53:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  12:19:19 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you reload for the 7.62 x 33, you're going to need a case-trimmer. Since the cases are usually going to need trimming often, I just set up my trimmer to the desired case-length and run everything thru it. The ones that don't need trimming won't get trimmed and I've never found fired brass too short.
Go to Top of Page

jski

56 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  12:28:57 PM  Show Profile Send jski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the overall cartridge? Not just the case.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  2:47:25 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I set the bullet seating die up for the desired depth and OAL for whichever projectile I'm loading. Measure one now-in-then to insure things have not gone out-of-whack.
Go to Top of Page

daboone

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  07:49:04 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have and use 8 different case gauges, all for bottlenecked cartridges. So yes the case gauges can be useful for checking the "over all" dimensions to assure your sizing die is correctly set up.

It is especially useful for checking to see if the extractor has damaged the case's rim. One of my M1 Garands extractor does a "good" job of leaving a small flash of brass protruding on the outside edge of the rim. The gauge does a great job of quickly identifying the cases that need this to be corrected.

I have used those gauges to check for case length but not much anymore because it's easier for me to do this as I do case prep. After sizing I start by trimming, not every case needs to be trimmed, but they go thru the process anyway as a part of case prep after sizing. Thus I'm assured that all the cases are of the exact uniformed length.

I understand many handloaders use pistol case gauges. For me I use the guns chamber and drop/fit test. With the M1 Carbines this isn't possible to do as easily as a revolver or semiautos. But I do know my sizing die is set up correctly after doing a dummy load check for insertion and extraction.

I certainly don't feel that using a straight walled or this case a tapered wall case gauge is a bad idea but it's just unnecessary for my methods of handloading.

Edited by - daboone on 02/28/2018 07:51:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

jski

56 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  10:05:55 AM  Show Profile Send jski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I primarily load .30 Carbine rounds for my Blackhawk and many people (on other forums) have suggested using the Blackhawk's cylinder as a case and cartridge gauge. But that would be very imprecise as the case head and the rear face of the cylinder are never flush and you're left speculating about the gap: too big, too little, or just right.

Get the Shooters Box case and ammunition gauges.

Edited by - jski on 02/28/2018 10:06:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2