M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Inland
 Inland 8-42
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DuffyFL
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  8:34:02 PM  Show Profile Send DuffyFL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a m1 from a guy at work and trying to research it, the serial number is 43231 and has a8_42 on the barrel, does this seem authentic?

hunterman1
Advanced Member

198 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  9:05:49 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The barrel date is within the range expected for your serial number, so the barrel could be original to the receiver. Does the barrel have a long skirt or short skirt? (see this page: You must be logged in to see this link.)
Go to Top of Page

DuffyFL
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  9:17:11 PM  Show Profile Send DuffyFL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe its a short skirt
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  9:30:12 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That date it would have been a long shirt on it. It's an early one for sure. Does it have a flip rear sight or an adjustable one? The barrel band is it one for a bayonet or not? Pictures, we need pictures!!!!! Please?????
Go to Top of Page

DuffyFL
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  10:19:16 PM  Show Profile Send DuffyFL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has a bayonet lug and came with a bayonet, a USM8A1, and I took some pictures but not sure how to upload them on this forum. I just spent 8 hours cleaning it and looking at the pics it may be a long skirt on it.
Go to Top of Page

hunterman1
Advanced Member

198 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  10:56:24 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here the pictures of the carbine

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  2:50:41 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking carbine! The flip safety, mag catch, adjustable rear sight and bayonet lug tells us that it has been upgraded with mostly later parts, which is good for reliability and accuracy. The operating slide however, appears to be an earlier type but it should work okay. A later slide might reduce extraction/ejection problems if you should have them. These are some of parts that were improved during WW2 and were usually installed whenever a carbine was updated at a U.S. arsenal. As Hunterman mentioned, it looks like you still have the original barrel. Did you notice any markings on the stock? Check for markings inside the sling well. It looks to be a later type as well.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

DuffyFL
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile Send DuffyFL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a "SA" stamped on the stock, it's the only markings I see.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a Springfield Armory (postwar) pot belly stock. Probably the best for accuracy.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

DuffyFL
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  5:14:33 PM  Show Profile Send DuffyFL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the info everyone, the more I learn about it the more excited I get. I Ordered a WWII USMC butt stock magazine pouch from a collector, and a few boxes of rounds. when I break it down again I will get pictures of everything and post them. Thanks again, Semper Fi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2