M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 need some feedback on ammo...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jet Jaguar
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  4:54:47 PM  Show Profile Send Jet Jaguar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so i just got my first carbine, a universal. a first gen and it's GI parts, or so i believe,(here's the thread, pics at bottom)-
You must be logged in to see this link.

hitting the range tomorrow and want to try a couple of different types of ammo.

what i want to know is-
what are your top picks and why?

thank you all very much!

love life, it's all you really have.

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My own reloads. because it's fun................

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

Jet Jaguar
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  5:02:01 PM  Show Profile Send Jet Jaguar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shadycon

My own reloads. because it's fun................

nice! i'm pretty green but wouldn't rule it out if i had time and experience. take care-

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  5:20:59 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep 2-3 carbines around all the time, USGI and Commercial. Honestly, I have never came across anything that won't work and generally purchase based on availability and price. Some folks have reported problems with some lots of Armscor and S&B, but I've not had any problems. PPU is a popular brand as well. I do shoot a lot of reloads also, but they are MY reloads. You may find your carbine likes a particular brand...just have to shoot it and see. I'd shoot it for functionality for a while, then zero-in on a particular brand that may deliver the accuracy/performance you're looking for. This being a almost new carbine (from the looks) you may find that it shoots low. The remedy is to set the sight for 100-yards and file the front sight post to move the POI upwards. Or, just elevate the rear sight. Correct POI is around 3/4-inches high of POA at 25-yards.

Have fun and welcome aboard!
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  5:59:52 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably no cause for great alarm, but for safeties-sake...it needs to be mentioned. If you have never seen this carbine fire or don't know for a fact that it has been fired, head-space may be a concern. I bring this up, because I have found some Universals to be "tight". Well-n-good as long as the brass does not exceed 1.290 in length and I've never found any commercial that did. Most of it will be closer to 1.285-1.287. As you chamber that first round and several thereafter, keep a visual on the bolt and make sure it has closed and rotated into position. After you have fired the gun several times, this will become second-nature and you will keep an eye on the bolt. I'm not suggesting you go out and purchase a bunch of gauges just to check one gun and possibly the only carbine you may every have. The suggestion is always to have the HS checked on any newly acquired carbine. You should be able to plainly see if the bolt has locked-up. Universals have had a reputation for slam-firing as well (deserved or not), which was one of the reasons they altered the design of the bolt.
Go to Top of Page

Jet Jaguar
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  8:48:20 PM  Show Profile Send Jet Jaguar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by americanboy

Probably no cause for great alarm, but for safeties-sake...it needs to be mentioned. If you have never seen this carbine fire or don't know for a fact that it has been fired, head-space may be a concern. I bring this up, because I have found some Universals to be "tight". Well-n-good as long as the brass does not exceed 1.290 in length and I've never found any commercial that did. Most of it will be closer to 1.285-1.287. As you chamber that first round and several thereafter, keep a visual on the bolt and make sure it has closed and rotated into position. After you have fired the gun several times, this will become second-nature and you will keep an eye on the bolt. I'm not suggesting you go out and purchase a bunch of gauges just to check one gun and possibly the only carbine you may every have. The suggestion is always to have the HS checked on any newly acquired carbine. You should be able to plainly see if the bolt has locked-up. Universals have had a reputation for slam-firing as well (deserved or not), which was one of the reasons they altered the design of the bolt.

thank you very much for your input brother; i sincerely appreciate your advice from a sporting and safety standpoint! i intend to make sure that after that slide is pulled in hot mode; that the bolt is in full forward position! from visual inspection, it seems to be a GI spec universal in all respects, but as we know; treat all weapons as potentially dangerous at all times. my best to you and yours and i'll get back soon to you and all to let you know how it functions!

Go to Top of Page

Jet Jaguar
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  9:03:24 PM  Show Profile Send Jet Jaguar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I keep 2-3 carbines around all the time, USGI and Commercial. Honestly, I have never came across anything that won't work and generally purchase based on availability and price. Some folks have reported problems with some lots of Armscor and S&B, but I've not had any problems. PPU is a popular brand as well. I do shoot a lot of reloads also, but they are MY reloads. You may find your carbine likes a particular brand...just have to shoot it and see. I'd shoot it for functionality for a while, then zero-in on a particular brand that may deliver the accuracy/performance you're looking for. This being a almost new carbine (from the looks) you may find that it shoots low. The remedy is to set the sight for 100-yards and file the front sight post to move the POI upwards. Or, just elevate the rear sight. Correct POI is around 3/4-inches high of POA at 25-yards.

Have fun and welcome aboard!

thank you kindly my friend! and i was going to do a seperate thread about the sight, you rock! i saw the filing the front aperture tip elsewhere but didn't give it much more thought until you reminded me here... KUDOS!

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  09:55:21 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you haven't found this already....go here and enjoy the read. There is a section on commercial carbines.

Go to Top of Page

Jet Jaguar
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  2:01:08 PM  Show Profile Send Jet Jaguar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you haven't found this already....go here and enjoy the read. There is a section on commercial carbines.

yeah man great page!

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are several pages concerning Universals history and notable changes. You read all that stuff enough....and you will be as smart as some of us think we are....LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Jet Jaguar
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  12:52:53 PM  Show Profile Send Jet Jaguar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are several pages concerning Universals history and notable changes. You read all that stuff enough....and you will be as smart as some of us think we are....LOL.

well put!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2