M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 I.B.M.
 IBM purchase
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

murbas
Greenhorn Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  9:23:21 PM  Show Profile Send murbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looking into purchasing a supposed original '43 IBM. It has an IBM barrel, flat bolt, push button safety, flip sight, type 2 barrel band, and single rivet hand guard. is there any thing in particular i should look for? any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  10:10:17 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico, again!

An original IBM should have all the things you listed but without pictures it's hard to know exactly what to tell you. All I can say is make sure it also has an IBM stock, trigger housing group and slide. These parts generally should be stamped with a makers mark that usually ends with the letter "B" (IBM's identifier letter). Some IBM receivers were subcontracted to Auto-Ordinance so it might have "AO" stamped below the serial number. Check to see if there's a date on the barrel. If so it should correspond to the date of manufacture of the carbine within a month or two. However, not all barrels were dated. If original, there should be no arsenal rebuild stamps on the stock. Also, look for import marks on the barrel. They will detract from the value, maybe 10%. Invest in Craig Riesch's book "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production". It's $22.39 on Amazon and will help you know what to look for.

It helps if we could see some pictures.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 01/03/2018 10:26:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

murbas
Greenhorn Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile Send murbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks jackp ! if it is original is $1250 a decent price? includes vintage mags [2] and repro sling and mag pouch.
Go to Top of Page

murbas
Greenhorn Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  07:51:22 AM  Show Profile Send murbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also, it has what looks like a large B in the sling well, and either a Z or an N under the pistol grip.
Go to Top of Page

murbas
Greenhorn Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  07:52:41 AM  Show Profile Send murbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also has circle cannon cartouch on left side of stock
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  09:17:51 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look for matching finish and wear on parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some people replace parts [rebuild/restore] all kinds of things and pawn them off as "original" and sell at a higher price to unsuspecting buyers!!!!!!!
If it looks new, it probably is!!!!!!!!!!!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  10:03:50 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the mags (if USGI), sling and pouch are probably "worth" $50.

If original, there are serious collectors who will pay $1200 for an IBM. What it's worth is different for different people. Maybe if I already had examples of the other nine manufacturer's and IBM was all that stood in the way from "completing" my collection of all "original" carbines, I'd shell out the $1200 (and maybe more). If it were my first, I'd try to negotiate a bit, particularly if I wasn't real sure it was "original". Maybe offer $900 and see if they will still talk to you. It kind of depends on whether it's a private sale vs. Gunbroker or maybe a local gun store. Each may value it's worth differently. In the final analysis, it really depends on what you want. Will a couple hundred dollars stand in the way of the happiness you will have in owning an "original" IBM carbine?

BTW, the "B" in the sling well is a good sign. There should be other letters preceding the "B", like "LW-B" or "JL-B" or "BR-B". They may be weakly stamped. Don't know about the other letter. Cartouch is good, the cannons should be .45 inch long.

Let us know how it goes.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  10:29:37 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW Mike, did you ever get that FAT Underwood you were looking at a couple of years ago?

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  3:17:57 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now you said the acceptance stamp (crossed cannons) is on the left side of the stock? It should be on the right side. But any photos you can post will sure help us to determine the value for you.
Go to Top of Page

murbas
Greenhorn Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  3:22:05 PM  Show Profile Send murbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no, jack. i did have an inland with a winchester barrel, but had to part with it. after describing the I B M to you, what range of serial numbers should it fall under to be authenticate, thanks for all your help everyone! also, is there anything wrong with picking up an I B M verses other makers?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  3:41:40 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would expect it to be somewhere between 3,900,000 and 3,960,000. For "original" carbines, earlier serial numbers would likely have a Type 1 barrel band, later serial numbers would likely have a Type 2 milled adjustable rear sight. Nothing wrong with IBM. It all depends on what you want.

Also, that cartouche is likely to be closer to the pistol grip than to the oiler slot. Kind of a signature characteristic of IBM carbines.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 01/03/2018 3:43:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

murbas
Greenhorn Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  4:43:03 PM  Show Profile Send murbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my mistake. cannon cartouche is on right side, and the marking under pistol grip looks like an M.
Go to Top of Page

murbas
Greenhorn Member

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  5:32:13 PM  Show Profile Send murbas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first four digits are 3949. it may be sold as I wont have funds available until saturday
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2