M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Gas piston breaking barrel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

m14life
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  4:35:44 PM  Show Profile Send m14life a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, I was shooting and the bolt kept getting stuck, so i resorted to tapping it with a mag (since no wooden table was handy) to dislodge it. I took the bolt apart with the bolt tool and replaced the extractor spring, the chamber is a little dirty but not excessively, when I stripped the gun I found the guide rods arced downwards slightly and the piston has hit the barrel hard enough to deform it and cause cracks, and causing the metal to bulge and trap the slide. What would cause this and can it be fixed? Links below for two pictures I took, thank you.

You must be logged in to see this link.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2017 :  6:25:00 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sure sounds like your barrel is toast and you need to replace it. Of course the problem is there are no stocks of replacement parts left for the Universal carbines. They have been out of business for many years. Best bet would be to try looking on Ebay or Gun Broker for a correct barrel. You will most likely have to replace the recoil rods too as they have been bent. Will most likely just keep bending no matter how much you straighten them out. Hope you find what you need.
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  05:18:24 AM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna is right. The barrel is toast. The why? Hard to tell with what I see in the pics but first off. The extreme wear from use where the piston kisses the barrel piston stop. That channel is deep. Secondly, hard to tell, but it looks like maybe the weld gave loose on the one side of the gas block. Which let the piston hammer on new ground.
I just happen to have my Universal apart and the area from the beating is way more shallow compared to yours.
Your just going to have to replace it if indeed you can find one. Universal and many commercial carbines were not under the same watchful eye as USGI. Many parts were not hardened to GI specs.
Let us know what you find with the weld. I'm just guessing, but that's what I'm thinking. There is always a reason for the why factor. Finding it can be difficult at times.
Good luck with the search. People are always parting them out.
Depending on what you find, I myself would stay away from the Gen 3. The gas blocks were brazed instead of welded. Never seen one, but that's what I have heard.

Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  3:48:56 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Respectfully ...

Is it a Universal Carbine with the twin recoil springs and the slide cut out machined space for the right bolt lug?

I noticed the long weld bead on the EDIT: Gas block. Also the pictures were excellent. Good zoom close ups doable. Thank you.

Yep ... bad news. That barrel looks like toast. Non repairable. Your manufacture had a bad rep using soft parts.

You might just have to walk away from the entire Universal Carbine. It MAY NOT BE SAFE TO SHOOT ANY FURTHER. Yep.

Sad but true. An expensive lesson. Some say the Universals are junk and very non safe to shoot. Your decision.

EDIT EDIT: I need my glasses. I stand corrected. That weld bead holds the gas cylinder to the barrel. NOT the slide.

Respectfully.

Edited by - HB of CJ on 12/26/2017 12:01:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because Universal parts are hard to find maybe you can make up a little of your loss by parting out what's left over. For example, my local gun store has one that needs a bolt and he hasn't been able to find one. The way it is now, it's unsellable and he's not going to bother to part it out. Your TH, bolt, slide and stock are probably worth $300-350 if sold separately. You might even be able to get something for the barreled receiver the way it is. The front sight and barrel band are unique to Universal and the rear sight is probably worth $15-20.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 12/25/2017 4:18:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you decide to part it out, let me know. I would like the gas piston. Jackp is right about the recovery $ on parts. Don't just cut it up and toss it. My Gen 2 upgrades were ridding myself of the complete aluminum trigger housing and replaced it with a type 4 Inland. Sold the TH for $45. The stock had to be replaced also because of the square box cut design with universal's TH. Purchased a nice pot belly post war stock for $35, and sold my universal stock for $102 without the hand guard. Kept it for pattern since mods needed done for clearance on the replacement. Now that I'm done with it. I figure it will bring 20-$25. Gen 2 bolts are the same design as USGI, just soft. Also replaced that assembly with an Inland. If you have the Gen 3 bolt with the spring retention firing pin. Those are impossible to find. Might bring some good money.
Also as Jackp said, the front sight and barrel band are for Universal only.
No comment has been made on the weld? HB of CJ mentioned the weld on the slide. My eyes see the gas block unless I missed a picture. To me, it looks like the weld broke loose from the barrel right where the weld ends. Something had to give way for the piston to start hammering the edge of the already worn channel it cut.
Good luck regardless of which path you take.

Go to Top of Page

m14life
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  8:00:32 PM  Show Profile Send m14life a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the replies to my question, I think for now I will keep looking for a replacement barrel online or at a gun show, if that doesn't pan out then I'll part it out JackP and Satanta.
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  1:57:08 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
m14life: I sent you a PM and never heard back. Check your spam maybe.
With help from Jackp I called the guy concerning the Universal. It's a Gen 3 with a damaged bolt and will take $150 for it. He said receiver looked fine etc? I tried $125 and got a no.
If interested, you first need to determine if yours is Gen 2 or Gen 3. That itself will determine a lot overall on money spent for a spare parts rifle.
Can't swear by it, but I think the Gen 2 and 3 used the same barrel. Receivers are different. It would be nice to just swap the receiver-barrel unit all in one.
If interested, you need to do some homework yourself or ask more questions, or both.
You could easily have the Gen 2 because I noticed the gas block was welded instead of brazed. But I think some early Gen 3 also had the weld. You need to check the bolt comparison, and also look for the lever on the right side of the receiver for the slide/bolt lock. All that can be found with the link I sent you earlier via personal message.
Enough said for now. We are hear to help anyway we can. Gen 3 have the worst reputation, even though many are still very happy with them. Not my place to judge.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2