M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 Imported ammo choices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jimb16

USA
3158 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  4:34:34 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only problem with Aguila is that it is slightly lower velocity than standard carbine rounds. Until you get out to 100 yards you really won't notice the difference. It is reliable and the brass is excellent for reloading.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  7:21:21 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad this topic got re-lighted. I have been getting started with re-loads.
Trial and error of course, but all is working out fine.
The Aguila ammo is mentioned as a slightly lower velocity than standard carbine rounds.
With my reloads, I'm moving up the scale per loads with my Chronograph. Always start small. (point made) Be Safe!
I'm at 1700 with my MRI 4227. 1750 with my Accurate No 9.
My favorite shelf ammo for my three carbines is PPU 110 gr FMJ. It comes in at 1840 FPS. I was impressed.
Love it, and keeping all the brass.
My question is: What is the favorite overall goal for FPS?
I hear so much on theory concerning beating our war baby's up. I don't want that. But it does cross my mind as to what you guys like, think, or do?
Everything feeds and cycles perfect as is with my reloads. Have yet to try past 100yds for accuracy.
PPU's at 1840 FPS do well at 200 plus easy.
Just tossing things out there for input. Still trying to learn from the experienced. Saves some time on the guess work and price of powder etc.
I need to add that I'm using 115 gr Bayou lead coated bullets. So I do expect a lower FPS reading.
No leading of any notice. Really like them for the price over FMJ. Frustrated with the seating depth required.
But I have overcame that problem and all is good there also.
Do I hear 1950 FPS, or 1800 FPS overall. Or do I stay with the 1700-1750 FPS for the 115 gr bullet?
Sorry - sounds too much like a bidding question.
I feel I already know the answer. Stay where you like it or feel safe.
Well understood. But as always, I do love input on what others think and will share.

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3158 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  7:17:28 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for best accuracy not velocity.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  4:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said and do understand that. I guess I always dance to much with my posts and never get to the point.
Example: Shooting two separate loads. Two carbines, both USGI. Using ACC No9 at 10.3 and 10.6 with 115 gr lead coated bullet. MOA is fair, but could use improvement.
I'm right in the middle of min and max charge for powder and bullet. Room to move either direction. I'm at 1716 and 1750 FPS.
Which path would you take (first) to tighten the MOA? Increase or decrease?
Not a big hassle, but loading and travel to the range takes more work and pain on my knees than I would like.
Max load on my chart for Accurate No9 is 11.2 at 1834 FPS. Starting load is 10.0 with no data on FPS.
Tightest group was with 10.6 but hit low on both charges. Same carbine with MRI 4227 12.6 was tight and spot on center. All done at 25yds. So way good on my MRI loads, just need a little input to tighten up my No9 Accurate.
If it's any help. The MRI 4227 was pushing 1690 average. Different burn rates etc.
So just looking without expecting the perfect answer. With my No9 Accurate. Should I move up or down with the powder charge as a suggestion only.
Thanks again to all.

Go to Top of Page

COSteve
Advanced Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  09:26:11 AM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I handload 16 different calibers; 7 pistol and 9 rifle including the 30 Carbine and I've found that there are 2 velocity 'nodes' where the accuracy is best. One is very near the max charge velocity and the other one is usually around 1/2 to 2/3 down towards the min charge. For plinking, I like to pick the lower node as long as the gun functions properly.

My NPM's lower node is right around 1,780fps which gives me a load that works well only out to 100yds and then falls off too fast. The other node is right up there at only .1 grn below max charge. It produces a velocity of 1,960fps with decent accuracy but I don't want to cycle it that hard so I don't use that load on it.

However, my commercial AO carbine's upper node is right at max charge producing 1,980fps and with that I get decent accuracy (for a carbine) out to about 150-175yds. That's one of the reasons I choose a commercial carbine for my shooter as I can run full power ammo through it without guilt.

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  6:15:07 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks COSteve, I find that helpful in several ways. What bullet are you using??? Since the 10.6 load was tighter than the 10.3 I think I'll stick there or maybe bump to 10.7
Ha - if I could get that group at 50-75yds plus. I would be thrilled.
Knee won't allow that right now. Surgery in two weeks.
You said you were at 1780, I'm at 1750.
My PPU shelf ammo gets 1840 FPS. All three of my carbines love it, but I want to get good at the right combo for reloads. It's fun and cost effective over time for sure.
I also have a commercial I shoot a lot. Universal Gen 2 with all upgrades and self improvements that can be done to one. Barrel is a 3 on the gauge, pot belly stock with bedded recoil plate. It shoots anything and everything and spot on. You can slide the sight back to 300yds and still have a hay-day of fun. I love it.
Gonna try to stick two pics in here. Only done this once, so we shall see if I remember how. 10.6 and 10.3 Accurate No9 115 gr coated Bayou bullets. 5 rds each at 25yds. No pic included, but the same rifle, my Inland 1-44 hit the center of the target with a nice pattern using IMR 4227 at 12.6 gr if I remember right without looking it up again.
Funny how the Accurate was low and to the right. Ammo is key to everything I'm learning real quick. Thanks again for your input.

Go to Top of Page

myname
Advanced Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  2:54:26 PM  Show Profile Send myname a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I started this thread just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Regarding reloading, I did at least 2000, and found .30 Carbine to be a pain to do, even with a power case trimmer and Hornady Progressive setup with case feeder. Sold off my .30 Cal brass, power trimmer, dies, bullets to a guy I met at a outdoor rifle competition last fall. Used the money towards a Mr. Bullet Collator - Bullet feeder. I re-purposed my setup for 9mm only and am happy with that decision. We shoot a lot of 9mm in carbines and pistols, and I can buy fully processed brass for .035 each. With limited time I have for reloading, I need to focus on what we shoot a lot of. So buying rounds is pricey but I don't shoot that much of the .30 Carbine to really matter.
Go to Top of Page

daboone

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  08:36:21 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimb16

In the majority of cases they shoot too high so the front sight needs to be built up to move the point of impact down. JB Weld is a good product for doing that.

JB Weld works? Wow! I'll have to try that on a 6.5 Carcano. I would have thought something that easy would just crack off due to barrel harmonics and recoil. Thanks for the tip. Off to the bench to give this a try.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2