M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 Few questions about parts for a Winchester 5.7 mil
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BROvet04
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  05:51:01 AM  Show Profile Send BROvet04 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I am trying to restore a beat down 5.7 mil Winchester Carbine I got from CMP about 7 years ago. Had a very rough looking Underwood marked stock and hand guard was a four rivet. I ended up getting a very nice Winchester low wood stock and a few different hand guards. The Winchester marked one looks different than all the others I got. Itís not tapered at the front. The other one I have is unmarked and tapered like all the others I have seen. Both are two rivets. Which would be correct for a 1944 Winchester? Also I found a correct type 3 M marked magazine catch. It is inland marked. Is there a place I can find a W or EW marked catch?

Thanks!

Edited by - jimb16 on 12/08/2017 11:12:38 AM

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  9:13:30 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you have an early Winchester Bull Nose hand guard. These were used in 1943. Winchester later went to a more tapered hand guard similar to the other makers. Winchester went with the four rivet hand guard around the 5.8 million mark so if your serial number is in the 5.78 or 5.79 range then the four rivet version is what you may use as it's close to the change over point. But if less serial number wise then a standard two rivet is good. The rear sight appears to be correct for your serial number. The barrel band is correct. Did you change it out from a type 3 with the bayonet lug? The magazine release is the right time frame but if it's marked for Inland then you would need to replace it with a Winchester marked on. Check on Ebay, Gun Broker and some of the on line part sellers for the correct magazine release. Should not be too hard to find. The pouch on the stock is a reproduction and to be honest it doesn't look all that great. Do a little checking around and you can find an original that will work out better for you. I should also say if your looking for parts stay away from the seller out on the left coast. Lots of fake parts there.

Edited by - Tuna on 12/04/2017 9:19:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

BROvet04v2
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile Send BROvet04v2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks yah I replaced the barrel band with a type II. Iím on the hunt for a new mag catch. I got booted of the forum for posting too many pics and had to create a new account.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  10:28:47 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there two Winchester proof marks on the barrel?

JackP
Go to Top of Page

BROvet04v2
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile Send BROvet04v2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes there are a W and a oval Winchester proof.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  12:16:16 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only time I would expect to see two proof marks are when a barrel was supplied by the Government Free Issue Barrel program. They would be marked by their original manufacturer and then again when the assembled carbine was tested. I guess if Winchester supplied pre-tested barrels to themselves through this program, perhaps this would necessitate marking their barrels twice. This may be a rare occurrence unless someone has another explanation. Perhaps reusing a barrel from a rejected carbine during manufacture? Any comments?

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 12/05/2017 12:18:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

BROvet04v2
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  5:39:24 PM  Show Profile Send BROvet04v2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess itís kind of rare?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  9:19:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No not really. There were times a carbine had to be proof fired twice. If the carbine failed a function testing or turned out to have a bad receiver it was again fired and stamped on a new receiver. Rejected barrels were fixed if possible and then used. Then again proof fired and stamped. But as Jack said it could have been a case of being sent to another carbine maker BUT if the barrel isn't dated then the odds go down on this happening as Winchester was ramping up their carbine production. Winchester didn't contribute many barrels to the free issue program compared to others.
Go to Top of Page

BROvet04v2
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  06:40:13 AM  Show Profile Send BROvet04v2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. How do you know if a Carbine stock pouch is a reproduction or not. I see a lot on eBay. Not sure what they should cost.
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  07:41:44 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check for manuf. name on snap.....

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were never made as a stock pouch. That was good old USGI thinking. The quality of the pouch in that it feels like it's heavier, the construction is stronger and it fits on a stock better and doesn't look like it has to go on a diet. lol.
Go to Top of Page

BROvet04v2
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  05:41:07 AM  Show Profile Send BROvet04v2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible for Winchester to have used a type II Magazine catch this late? I have a W marked one.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  09:21:45 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The type 3 magazine catch was used starting around the 5.6 million mark so a type 2 would be far too early for you. The type of catch you have is correct except for being Inland.
Go to Top of Page

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  10:01:37 AM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it has two proof marks. What I see is the normal Winchester W and then the intertwined P&W that's actually the proof mark.

BTW, lots of changes going on with WRA M1 carbine production during your serial range, including round bolts, type V operating slides and the four rivet handguard just to mention a few.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2