M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Commercial Carbines
 Cracked Trigger Housings...Anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
369 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  2:08:05 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A year-or-so ago I purchased a complete SG USGI housing for around $125.00...fully loaded and ready to plug-n-play. Today, these things are selling for north of $250.00 where I've been looking. My question is....how many cast trigger housings has anybody actually seen broken or can confirm that someone else has had one cracked or broken?

I let an early cast aluminum housing pass the other day for a selling price of $29. This was the very early style that mimics the looks exactly of the USGI. I am not talking about the Universals with the red and green dots on the housing, those were the second edition B4 they went to the box-housing. I think the next time I see one, I'll not let it get away. I'm just curious as to how serious the problem of cracked or broken cast housings can be? You can obtain a genuine USGI naked housing for around $100. Can it be almost 4X the quality of a cast replica?

Comments?

Edited by - americanboy on 05/20/2017 2:09:22 PM

rg1911

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  5:29:50 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, my *opinion* is that a *correctly* cast housing will be as durable as a machined (or braised) USGI housing. Heck, Ruger's been using castings for decades without problems. I even have three M2-style USGI housings that were cast by a company in New York for use in Vietnam.

Can a milled or cast housing crack? Sure. All it takes is a hidden flaw in the metal.

That said, I'd prefer a steel cast or milled housing to an aluminum one.

Cheers,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
369 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  6:02:03 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments rg. I think it depends on who made it and how. I have an Iver Johnson that has a cast STEEL TH and it is made to exact dimensions as a GI unit. It also takes the same pins as the USGI. I know they made a couple of different versions and the one I have looks and fits the best. Universal manufactured at least two cast aluminum versions B4 they went to the box-style housing. The early Universal examples appear to be of the lowest quality among the commercials. I've seen one with a broken loop after it was dropped. I have seen one that was cracked when it was being removed from the receiver. Closer examination turned-up a flaw (void) in one side of the mag-well area....that's where it is thin...and it cracked. I've about decided to stick with the GI housings. I think it's too difficult to determine which cast aluminum housings may-or-may not be the "good" ones on these commercial carbines. We all know that alloys are now used all over the place in gun-world. Commercial carbine manufacturers just didn't get it right in some cases and I don't plan to spend anymore time on the issue.

Yes...I know Ruger uses casting and look at them. A reputation for building some of the strongest guns made.
Go to Top of Page

rg1911

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another *possible* problem with an aluminum housing is the hammer, trigger and mounting holes *might* become worn and loose. Steel pins are going to trump aluminum almost any day. (Many moons ago, I had a S&W model 39-2 that had an aluminum frame and a steel slide. It didn't take too many rounds before the rails became obviously rounded.)

Cheers,
Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2