M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 Identification Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shiverbs
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send shiverbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased an M1 carbine from a friend. I am new to M1's and would like help identifying what I have.

The rear of the receiver (under rear sight) is marked:

Saginaw S'G'

The top of the barrel is marked with:

Underwood
3-43

The side of the barrel is marked with:

Blue Sky / Arlington, VA

The sling area of stock is marked with: U The right/rear of stock (ejection side) has a square with the below letters inside the square

RIA
EB

The safety and bottom side of hard guard are marked:

HI

The side of the adjustable sight is marked:

PI

Any help on identification and value would be greatly appreciated!

Photos:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - shiverbs on 01/26/2017 5:30:28 PM

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
369 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  6:42:56 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can do a good deal of identification by going to USCARBINECAL30M1.com and select components. Many of the pro's here on the forum don't trust that site a great deal, but it's interesting and handy for identification of most small parts. Navigate around that site and you may find answers to most of your questions.

Generally, you have an imported mix-master arsenal rebuild. Imported by Blue Sky. Not saying that's a bad thing and hoping you have a good shooter on your hands. Good shooters generally go from $700-$800. Some of the experienced members will drift by and ID most of your components, meantime...spend some time on the site I mentioned.

Welcome Aboard!

Edited by - americanboy on 01/26/2017 6:45:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  8:33:41 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Carbine Forum from New Mexico!

I go along with Americanboy on the value estimate. The RIA mark (Rock Island Arsenal) suggests your Saginaw, Grand Rapids (S'G') carbine was rebuilt after the war and was then loaned/given to a Military Assistance Program recipient, probably S. Korea and imported back to the U.S. by Blue Sky Productions during the mid 1980's. It has a mix of various manufacturer's parts, Inland hand guard, Inland hammer and a PI marked rear sight first used on Inland and later used for post war upgrades. The Underwood barrel is most likely original to the carbine. Not sure about the U mark in the sling well. Could you post a picture?

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  6:28:11 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a picture of shiverbs' sling well. He e-mailed it to me and asked me to post it.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  05:56:28 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Inland stock: produced by S.E. Overton for Inland. While it looks like IO it is really OI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2