M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Winchester
 Sites
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

footwart
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  12:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Send footwart an AOL message Send footwart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Winchester that has been family owned since the fifties. It has looked like this my whole life (53 years) and the sites are not typical like you would see on other m1s. Could these be altered or added?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1064 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  2:10:31 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Yes, your sights have been altered/replaced. The stake mark on the receiver tells me that it had, at one time, an adjustable rear sight. The barrel looks like it still has the original USGI finish. As long as the barrel and receiver themselves are not altered you can easily replace them with standard USGI sights, if you wish.

BTW, that's a beautiful pot belly stock. I like the tiger striping.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

footwart
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  2:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Send footwart an AOL message Send footwart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought that was the case. my grandfather was somewhat of a gun smith. i always thought he had altered them but he passed way before i handled it much. thanks
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  5:34:28 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Foot
I think your grandfather did a great job. He probably was used to the v type sight. If it shoots good and you are going to keep it. He put his mark on it for you to remember.
SM
PS- Jack is right, it is a real nice looking rifle.

Edited by - swampmolly on 12/17/2016 5:50:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2