M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 11-1/4" Operating Spring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked-up a spare operating spring from Sarco in an order for some magazines and it's 11-1/4" long. Exactly 1-inch longer than a GI spring. It cost something like $3.75, so I have no quams about throwing it away. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these aftermarket springs? It very well could be fewer coils and different spring-stock requiring the extra length to obtain the same results...or it could be just junk.

jimb16

USA
3159 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Try it. If it works; great.It may be one of the "extra power" springs which can cause problems. If it is, you can always try shortening it.
You have nothing to loose by trying it.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At's what I figured I'd do unless someone threw-up a red flag. I installed it and from the "feel", it is as strong or maybe a tad stronger than a new USGI. The gauge of wire used is noticeably smaller than the USGI and it's likely longer to obtain the same strength. I'll shoot it and see how it performs. Maybe I'll get $3.95 worth out of it.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  09:41:14 AM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AB
I got a couple of 10 1/2 inch extra power springs by mistake, when I tried them you could hear a difference as the bolt closed. They may have worked but I decided I did not want the extra stress on the bolt and receiver so I kept them aside for emergency use only. JMO
SM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  10:45:29 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What serves as the buffer(or buffering action)in these guns anyway? The rear of the slide banging on the rear of the receiver, the slide-channel banging against the front of the receiver, or is it all designed with the proper strength spring to stop anything from banging into anything. Another way to put it....what are the effects of a worn/weak operating spring other than failure to feed?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1065 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  12:14:46 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no buffer in the carbine design other than the recoil spring and maybe the friction of the cartridges in the magazine. Fortunately the rear of the slide and the slide channel don't see any significant banging. The only place the slide strikes rearward is against the front of the receiver and forward against the gas piston. This is the thickest and strongest area of the slide body. Still, it is a significant amount of force and since the reliability of the design has been proven over time, I wouldn't mess with any "special" springs. I would stick with a 10 1/4" USGI recoil spring.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  11:05:23 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Follow-up.

The aforementioned spring works flawlessly with the following hand-loads:

Armscorp 110FMJ, 13.5 grns. H110, OAL 1.680 1850fps
Armscorp 110FMJ, 12.5 grns. H108, OAL 1.680 1850fps
Hornady 86RN (Mauser bullet), 16.5 grns. H110, OAL 1.625 2300fps

Edited by - americanboy on 11/30/2016 3:03:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page