M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 What Spare Parts Do U keep?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  12:48:24 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shooter mentality...not collector mentality.

I one of those people that likes to have spare parts for the toys I plan to keep. USGI parts don't seem to be that scarce at the moment and decent commercial replacement parts seem to be plentiful as well.

If you wanted to keep vital components on hand...what would you recommend? Possibly a complete trigger group and maybe a bolt group as well? A spare main-spring might not be a bad idea either. Seems to me that if you hoard these....that covers just about every movin' part on the weapon. I would consider a barrel and receiver group a catastrophic failure and just look for a replacement weapon.

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1065 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  2:50:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a bunch of parts that I've accumulated over time but the only ones I take to the range with me are a bolt, recoil spring and mag catch. I suppose you could also need an extra TH pin in case you drop one in the grass and you don't have your metal detector with you. For what it's worth, so far I've never actually needed to use a spare part.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 11/08/2016 2:51:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

rg1911

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  2:53:36 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good ideas. I'd include a full set of springs, extractor, extractor plunger, ejector, spare hammer, a couple sears, and a set of pins. The springs and the little extractor parts are notorious for landing in the least accessible spot in your workroom, and sometimes break. I'd add the bolt disassembly/assembly tool (the after-market ones from Sarco work just fine).

Cheers,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
368 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  3:47:55 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bolt-tool is on my things-to-get list. Old hands and fingers are nowhere near as dexterous as they use to be.
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  7:48:14 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep spare parts for my carbines.

Over the years I have had to replace two recoil springs and one extractor on my shooter. The recoil springs wear out after several thousands of rounds shooting local CMP monthly matches over a number of years. The extractor lip I broke because I was single loading rounds into the chamber and not through the magazine like I should have. It is a very reliable gun.

Really don't recall anything in the way of broken parts from other shooters during those years. Some guys never would go through their guns and had feed issues from worn recoil springs, worn out and tattered magazines, worn magazine releases, dirty chambers and overall poor maintenance. Did see one bolt with a broken right lug. That carbine was a new from rebuild CMP white bag carbine that only had a few hundred rounds through it when the bolt broke during a match.

Go to Top of Page

wd4ngb
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  6:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit wd4ngb's Homepage Send wd4ngb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I set up one of my extra M16 ammo pouches as Parts/Tools. Have extra bolt and trigger assemble, spring set, bolt parts, bolt tool, and a plastic covered manual for bolt and trigger. This is part of my SHTF Gear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2