M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 I.B.M.
 IBM Birch Stock Timeframe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jca
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  7:03:05 PM  Show Profile Send jca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I would like to inquire as to when IBM first started using birch stocks/handguards by date/serial number range. Thanks!

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  7:52:48 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IBM was the first to use a Birch stock. Made by Sprague & Carleton Co. starting with type 2 stocks, high wood with oval oiler cut about October 1943 in the 3.7 million range of serial numbers. Exact dates and serial numbers are unknown.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3168 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  8:20:26 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NPM used a few in the same time frame. I have a nice one myself....

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

JAMES CONNOLLY
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  11:58:40 AM  Show Profile Send JAMES CONNOLLY a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a very nice M1 Birch Stock that has an "IO" in the sling weld. My Serial Number is 3,914,xxx
and I think was made somewhere between 7/43 to 11/43? How it ended up on this M1 I don't know.

Connolly
Irving, TX
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3168 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  5:06:08 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a perceived shortage of walnut for stocks during this time period. several other woods were tried including birch and cherry. Quite a few stocks were made that had bad spots in the wood which came out of the factory with the bad areas cut out and patches glued in. So many of those "patched up" stocks actually came out of the factory that way.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  9:26:58 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your stock marked OI was made for Inland and if it's a light color it's most a type of walnut as Inland didn't get into birch stocks. Being that it's on an IBM means it was a replacement somewhere along the line maybe during a rebuild.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2