M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 National Postal Meter
 National Postal Meter hardware
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Krag1899
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  9:55:27 PM  Show Profile Send Krag1899 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently acquired A NPM carbine and I need some advice from those with more knowledge of this model. My carbine has a serial number range of 4363xxx. It is a contract gun as it has the "U" stamped behind the number. Would this serial number range be appropriate to have a type 1 flip sight ? It has an S on the left side and RN on the right side. Also, is a hi-wood stock correct or should it be a low wood ?

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  06:27:28 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No NPM's were produced with adjustable sights, all came from the factory with flip sights. So if your weapon did not go trough a rebuild (no bayo lug, no flip safety, etc) then it could be original. By your serial type 3, low wood stocks would have been used but you never now what was laying around in the bins. Show us pictures.

Edited by - cali201 on 01/13/2016 06:29:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  09:48:49 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Receiver was made by Union Switch and Signal for NPM late in 1943 time frame. High wood stock with oval cut oiler slot would be right at the break point area for your serial number so it would be correct. Markings on the rear sight also fit in the time frame of your serial number. Pictures would be great if you can post some.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2