M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 National Postal Meter
 New Carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michael
Greenhorn Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  9:49:11 PM  Show Profile Send Michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife just got me my retirement gift - Postal Meter serial number 41245XX and the barrel is marked underwood 1-43. Seems like a good gun, but the gas piston nut was loose. Gonna clean it up and put some blue Loctite on the gas piston nut to secure it before I shoot…unless someone is going to tell me I am off base.

Edited by - Michael on 04/07/2014 10:27:08 PM

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  10:08:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the nut is staked in place but turning a little it's OK. But if the nut can come off then it needs to be tightened down snug but not too hard as you can crack the gas housing and if that happens then you replace the barrel. If you have the ability to stake it in place then do that. Loctite is not a good idea on the castle nut of the gas system. Your carbine would date to about January 1944. If your barrel date is 1-43 then it's a replacement and I would guess during a rebuild which is pretty much standard for all carbines.
Go to Top of Page

swampmolly

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  10:12:22 PM  Show Profile Send swampmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Loctite should be necessary. Snug it up and check it once in a while.
SM
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Greenhorn Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  12:40:06 PM  Show Profile Send Michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gas nut was able to be removed completely. Read on the CMP forum (I think) that early carbines were not staked, and that blue Loctite could be used in lieu of staking. Gotta get a gas nut wrench first.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3335 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  3:32:18 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you get one of the castle nut wrench's be very careful with it. The nut is just turned till nice and snug and no more then that. It may look like it can go into the gas cylinder deeper but don't try it as it's most likely bottomed out. Too much pressure and the gas cylinder can crack and your SOL then. The blue Loctite is not needed and it's best to stake the nut in place once it's tight.
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Greenhorn Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  1:37:21 PM  Show Profile Send Michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuna - thanks for the advice. I will be firm but gentle with the weapon.
Go to Top of Page

Pitbullman
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  6:59:47 PM  Show Profile Send Pitbullman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little blue loctite won't hurt a damn thing. Most people use too much! Just a small dot...
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3168 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  8:54:01 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not recommended.....and not needed.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2