M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Misc. Firearms Discussion (M1 Garand, 1911, etc.)
 Favorite 1911 model .45 ( Why )
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

J.R.M.2010
Advanced Member

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  07:13:13 AM  Show Profile Send J.R.M.2010 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Oct. 2, 1944 Ithaca. Shoots great!

J.R.M.

Edited by - jimb16 on 08/21/2012 7:58:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

PistolPete1969
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile Send PistolPete1969 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like others, my fave is a Springfield Armory WWII repop. It just fits my hands, shoots everything I put through it, and shoots like a dream. I have to pry it out of certain people's hands when we go shooting so I can shoot my own gun!!!!

Phenomenal!!

Pete
Go to Top of Page

ARChris
Advanced Member

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  10:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ARChris's MSN Messenger address Send ARChris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a full size Colt Govt. Series 80 in matte SS. Upgraded to a Kimber Ultra Covert. WOW!!! What a difference a hundred years makes.

ARChris

"A gun without ammo is one expensive bat."
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2012 :  4:22:10 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
X2 on the Kimber, mine is a compact in aluminum with crimson trace grips.
Go to Top of Page

oldmossy
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile Send oldmossy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Springfield loaded and love this 1911. I had a series 70 Colt Combat Commander but like an idiot sold it. I definately have sellers remorse.
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  6:03:36 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't think I could ever get rid of my Colt LW Commander. She's next to me at night.

OGCA Life Member, NRA, GCA,
Dad of a NJROTC Shooting Team Member
Go to Top of Page

R.Ph. 380
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  11:24:46 PM  Show Profile Send R.Ph. 380 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My EDC is a new MetroArms Amigo, an Officer's size compact. Blued with Mesquite grips with a stainless steel Texas inlay. She's been 100% reliable. I took my renewal CHL course with it this year. Perfect.

Bill

Edited by - R.Ph. 380 on 08/18/2012 3:09:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3323 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  12:50:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had 1911's over the years but I found that the original design did leave a bit to be desired. John Browning fixed those few problems when he designed the Browning Hi-Power for the French military. It has carried over to other designers who have come out with better firearms then the original. One that I have shot a lot is the S&W 645. This gun has all the good things of a full size .45 and is a rugged design plus it has a nice DA. The gun is more accurate then most 1911's and holds two more rounds as it can be carried safely with a round in the chamber. Now there are newer models around and other makes of nice .45 autos but this one is hard to beat and it's in the same class as the 1911's. But the whole this is to each their own and what they like best and shoot the best. That's all that matters for all of use.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  7:59:08 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys! Watch those picture sizes. Trim them down and preview before posting.

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  8:36:13 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim, are you saying size does matter ?

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  6:21:23 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup! Large print is easy to read, but takes too much space! *LOL*

OGCA Lifer, 03 Cruffler
son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

R.Ph. 380
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  12:16:51 AM  Show Profile Send R.Ph. 380 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got an American Classic Officer's sized Amigo. It's my favorite because it was the 1911 I could afford when It was new. Only cost me 469.00 OTD. They're up to 550.00 now. I carry it every day.
Go to Top of Page

gibbs

Philippines
88 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  04:13:10 AM  Show Profile Send gibbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, I have an international pistol: steel frame and magazine release from ParaOrdnance, SPS Plus steel slide, Colt National Match barrel in .45 ACP, Novak front and rear sights, vintage Colt target hammer, Kings extended grip safety, Ed Brown ambidextrous slide safety, Pachmayr mainspring housing, Ed Brown trigger, locally fabricated barrel bushing and recoil spring guide, Wolff recoil spring and Colt internals.

This pistol has served me well for the last 20 years of more or less daily carry. Attached are pictures of the "black mamba".

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  11:40:50 AM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very Nice.............. What do you like to feed it?

Go to Top of Page

gibbs

Philippines
88 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send gibbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pappy,

Thanks for the comment. For carry, full metal jacket, made by the government arsenal in the Philippines.

For range practice, 230 grain hard cast ball round with Winchester large pistol primer and Vihtavourri powder. I have to consult my notes on powder type and load.

Both carry and range loads are hot! The range reloads approximate the carry loads and my "black mamba" is tuned for both. I used to join practical matches and shot with my full loads on the theory that range practice should prepare one for real life situations so no wimp loads for me.

Pistol is all steel and with a fully loaded 14-rounder magazine is quite heavy and getting heavier for a senior (62-year old) like me. Here is another photo.

Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

wrench man
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  02:01:23 AM  Show Profile Send wrench man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm new to the 1911, but not to Ruger's, I brought home a Ruger SR1911 tonight, all reviews seem to be good?, The thumb safety will take some getting used to, my Ruger P91 is a double action and if the hammer is down it's on safe, all you've got to do is squeeze the trigger.
Go to Top of Page

gibbs

Philippines
88 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  11:48:34 AM  Show Profile Send gibbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wrench man,

I was in Woodsbury Outfitters in Coshocton Ohio around the Black Friday sale dates. The gun store is huge and the staff very helpful. The store manager advised my son to buy a Ruger SR 1911 if he can find one. He says he himself got one and it is a good buy but unfortunately, it sells faster than deliveries. My son got a Sig Sauer 1911 .45 ACP Tac Ops instead since the Ruger is out of stock.

More on how the Sig Sauer shoots later.

Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

caferacer

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  12:13:59 AM  Show Profile Send caferacer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colt pre series 70 will always be my first choice
series 70 would be my second choice
Springfield USGI, if you can find one,
or an Argentine made Sistema, modolo 1927, D.G.F.M.-(F.M.A.P)
made to factory Colt specs, under license from Colt, on machinery set up by Colt,
Go to Top of Page

jubilaaahhh
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  10:15:45 PM  Show Profile Send jubilaaahhh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bros i've got 1911 cal.45 COLT GOLD CUP MK IV SERIES 80, my life is defending on this pistol whenever i'm outside my residence or inside my residence, this is a good pistol,you can zeroing the target even without looking at the sight and its doesnt jammed thats most important at all, i just two toned it to make it more beautiful, but my mistake i should not two toned it, hayyysss...

Edited by - jubilaaahhh on 01/29/2013 10:39:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

VTXPhil
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  10:32:28 PM  Show Profile Send VTXPhil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Kahr/Auto Ordnance 1911A1 U.S. Army and I really like it. Very accurate, kind of heavy but all full size 1911's are. I have about 500 rounds through it and only a couple FTF but since I got a kimber Magazine. It feeds everything I put in it.
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice

Go to Top of Page

bdbruce
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  4:55:17 PM  Show Profile Send bdbruce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased my first 1911A1 last November 2013. I got a Rock Island 1911A1 G.I. F/S about $425.00 out the door. I've installed a Hough wrap around rubber grip, replaced the sear spring for a lighter trigger pull, and installed a Wilson Combat Shok-Buff. My wife and I have put several thousand rounds through it since then, using cast bullets for my reloads. I currently use Lee 452-200-SWC, 6 cavity mold, size and lubricate with Lyman "Orange Magic". This pistol has functioned perfectly no matter what bullet shape I feed it. I'm very happy with this 1911. I know the "pureists" say that the 1911 frame should be forged steel and the Rock Island uses a cast steel frame, but in a day where many Semi-Auto pistols have plastic (Polymir)frames, I don't think a cast steel frame is a issue.

Keep those rounds going down range,

Big Daddy Bruce

Bruce Colbourn
Go to Top of Page

TheSmokingGnu
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  2:58:09 PM  Show Profile Send TheSmokingGnu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New to the M-1 Forum, but not to the 1911. I currently own 10, all Colts, all commercial models (every one I carried in 15 years in the Army was junk, rattled when shaken and about as accurate as throwing the parts). Even the ones in the Post Marksmanship Team Arms Room were only okay after the team gunsmith worked them over. My first commercial Colt was a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match in 1973 and the fanaticism began there. Spread to Series 80s and Elites. The smoothest one I own is a Tussey Custom Series 80 - action like silk, swallows anything I've ever fed it, accurate as my 70 Gold Cup or my 80 Gold Cup. Because it's slick, I have stag grips on it and it's my Barbeque Gun (what my Old Man called a Sunday Gun, wear it in Yaqui slide to the party). Terry Tussey in Carson City, NV, is the man!

My only suggestion would be shop your maximum budget, what you might save otherwise you will regret. Particularly if you are buying for keeps. If you trade a lot (I don't), it's a different world. At that point, price is going to be a lot more important.

The Smoking Gnu

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting or dying for and lets men better than himself protect him.
John Stuart Mill - On Liberty, 1859
Go to Top of Page

Pappy
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  6:35:16 PM  Show Profile Send Pappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for you service and welcome. Love my Colt

Go to Top of Page

TheSmokingGnu
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  12:13:48 AM  Show Profile Send TheSmokingGnu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pappy, thank you for your thanks, but I served because it felt right. I got the "all expense paid tour of SE Asia", but it wasn't some glorious vision, it just felt like what I ought to do. In '76, it didn't feel right any longer and I left the Army. Many of the men who stayed during the bad years after Viet Nam (friends of mine still) deserve a lot more approbation than me - they were there when this country was again threatened and I was out. The guys who served in the "bad" years between the threats are the truly deserving.

That said, I'm a 1911 Junkie. Browning might have "improved" the design afterwards (I have a Browning 9mm too, as well as a Sig 220 in .45), but he got it so right the first time that it's like the 23rd piece in Bach's Art of the Fugue, it's just a variation on a perfect start. I've got the 10mm Delta Elites (3 of the 10 1911s) and the S&W 1006s (2) and had a Bren Ten (Don Johnson notwithstanding, not so good). The 1911 is, to me, the best compromise between accuracy, longevity/durability and maintainability that has ever been in a semi-automatic handgun. That the service pistols were not good was a budgetary problem, not a design problem. I can, 55 years after my introduction to the 1911, still field strip and reassemble one in the dark - try that with a Glock or almost any sidearm.

The Smoking Gnu

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting or dying for and lets men better than himself protect him.
John Stuart Mill - On Liberty, 1859
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2