M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Uncommon Variants
 H on bolt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  8:19:01 PM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys I just got another carbine and the bolt has an H on it and no other marks. anyone know what the H is? its not in any of the books I have.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  9:47:38 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you have an I-I bolt made for Inland. An early bolt type 1 and if so do not use it. They are prone to breakage in the lug area. If it is an I-I then it's collectable so replace it with another bolt that you can shoot with.
Go to Top of Page

always learning

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  10:59:06 AM  Show Profile Send always learning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to throw out IBM as a possibility too since I've seen some of their bolts with an H on them also. Btw, is this a round of flat bolt?
Go to Top of Page

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  6:53:37 PM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pretty sure it's an H, But I will look again, and it's a round bolt, Howa maybe??
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  5:47:55 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it really is an H then it is a post WWII replacement bolt. It should have a lube hole in the bottom.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3308 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  6:26:17 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sure would not be a Howa bolt. Howa did not mark their parts. In fact the only mark on a Howa was an H on the lower part of the barrel area near the receiver.
Go to Top of Page

painter777
Greenhorn Member

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  12:01:51 PM  Show Profile Send painter777 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing back from Tex ?
Maybe in Jail ?
So we guess where the H was stamped ?
Right lug.... Left lug.... Under left lug ?

I believe always learning nailed this one.
More than likely AOB worn off the face of the Right Lug.
Leaving the H visible on the Left lug.

Example:

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2