M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Inland
 Barn Find Rescue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

hunterman1
Advanced Member

185 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  9:51:19 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to share a recent rescue story. A hunting buddy's brother-in-law passed away and my friend was helping go through the deceased belongings.

In the barn he found an M1 carbine, rusty and in pieces. Knowing my interest in carbines, he offered it to me. I spent a couple of weeks cleaning it up; soaking it in oil and scrubbing away.

It is a 5.1 million Inland with matching 5-44 Inland barrel and original Type 2 barrel band. I cleaned the stock and put on a couple of coats of RLO to reveal a nice cartouche. I replaced the Winchester trigger housing and bolt with correct Inland parts and swapped out the stamped rear sight with a Type 2. Oh, and I put on an Inland hand guard as the one with the gun had the sight groove sanded away.

Pictures tell the story. No I haven't shot it yet.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - hunterman1 on 07/08/2018 6:45:54 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

boomer656
Greenhorn Member

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile Send boomer656 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cleaned up pretty nice!!! How is the bore?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1047 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  2:37:40 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why don't my friends find things like this? It's looking good! How long do you suppose it's been hiding in the barn?

JackP
Go to Top of Page

hunterman1
Advanced Member

185 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  6:45:33 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bore shined right up, rifling is strong, ME about 1. I replaced the flip safety (in the photo) with the correct push button. The only part not correct as issued is the bolt on the Type 2 band. It had a hardware bolt and I replaced it with a bolt from a Type 1 band.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2