M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Front Sight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boomer656
Greenhorn Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile Send boomer656 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My last trip to the range was to get more info about my sight setup and start working on that. After that trip I found the gas piston nut loose and have just finished working through that - so now, back to the sights.

With the rear sight set at minimum elevation, all shots taken at the 25 yard sight in target (the one posted on the forum) have been below the shaded area - instead of the expected couple of inches high. At the range, with the gun on a rest, at minimum elevation on the rear sight, I was several inches low. With elevation set at 1, my shots were 2 inches low. With elevation bumped to setting 2, my shots were 1 inch low.

The front sight has no marks on it and doesn't appear to have ever been filed. Do I need to take some off the front sight or is there something else I need to check first?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Front sight needs to be filed. Each individual carbine is different, some need it, some don't. Go slow using a file. File a little, shoot it, file a little, shoot it, etc., till your elevation is where you want it. Very easy to remove too much too fast. Might use some duct tape to cover the front sight wings so as not to accidently scrape them with the file. When done use a little instant blue on the front sight.

I would do this at a 100 yard range if possible with the rear sight set at 100 yards. Would be a much more accurate elevation group.

Edited by - bonnie on 05/30/2018 12:22:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The alternative may be to just "learn" where they shoot like any fixed sight gun. I have a couple of carbines that actually need filing, but I elected to just run the rear sight all the way up and both print pretty close to an inch above POA at 25-yards. I figure I will never have the need to shoot anything past 100-yards for sure with a carbine and I imagine most shooters don't.
Go to Top of Page

boomer656
Greenhorn Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  06:37:09 AM  Show Profile Send boomer656 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have any objection to filing the sight as that would be what was often done originally, coupled with the fact that the sight isn't marked -- it may have been put on two weeks before I bought the gun. On the other hand, I don't shoot at more than 100 yards with open sights except for the occasional exercise in futility (old eyes). I won't do anything until after I get another range day in and see if I can adjust the sights to hit pretty close to POA at 25, 50 and 100 yards.
Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  6:21:42 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, file away on that front site blade. Like already said better, go slow. If you have a type 2 or 3 rear adjustable site, make sure your aperture is set at the proper range detent. Have fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2