M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Inland
 M1A1 Opinions from a new member
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

69Shelby
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile Send 69Shelby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm a new member, found this site doing research on M1A1's.

I am a novice and have been offered first choice of either or both of these from a friend.

I know the likely hood of the barreled action to the receiver is not very likely. I have had some good feedback from members on another forum and would value feedback from some members here as well.

I thought the stocks appeared authentic bud lack rebuild cartouches.

Would you be able to take some time to review photos of these and give me your opinion?

You must be logged in to see this link.

You must be logged in to see this link.

If not, I completely understand,

Thank you,

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  06:11:55 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome: They both look good. Stocks look real. Take your pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

69Shelby
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  06:47:08 AM  Show Profile Send 69Shelby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response.
In your opinion what would be a fair price be?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  11:12:49 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Here's what I see on the "First Run M1A1":

1. Serial number is after first run and before second run so this B/R may not have originally been in a M1A1 stock.

2. No butt plate ding in the left side of the stock. The only time I see this absent is on "made up" M1A1's. The stock is okay but may be refinished, at least on the left side.

3. Has a Type 3 mag catch. Should be a Type 2 for first production.

4. Front sight looks "messed with", staking is disturbed. I think sight has been off the barrel for some reason.

5. B/R looks reparked. Also, bolt should be blue, looks parked.

6. "SG" marked receiver is after first run and before second run.

7. Barrel date is after first run and before second run.

I believe this carbine is a "made up" M1A1, intended to look like an original first run but not necessarily really original. I don't see any for sure repro parts, although I don't often see flip sights without pin staking or sling swivels with upset metal around the lettering. Others will have to comment on that. The stock is righteous but maybe sanded in select places for some unknown reason. I would pay below market value for a "Made Up" M1A1.

Here's what I see on the "Second Run M1A1":

1. Size and style of font of "HI" on rear sight looks odd.

2. Metal finish on B/R, bolt, barrel band, etc. look original.

3. Stock looks okay (although there is no image of left side).

I would prefer this M1A1 as it looks more original. Maybe the rear sight is an anomaly that I'm not familiar with, but everything else looks okay. I would pay market value for an original.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

69Shelby
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  12:32:09 PM  Show Profile Send 69Shelby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your evaluation.
This is an excellent run down of each rifle.
Could you tell me what the current market values are? Iím just getting familiar with this variant and not well versed in Carbines.
Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

69Shelby
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile Send 69Shelby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P.S. I grew up in Abq!
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  1:54:09 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prices vary according to region. Maybe $3K - 4K for the 2nd run, a little less for the 1st run. Don't base prices on CMP auctions or Gunbroker BIN prices. They're usually high. I guess it depends on how bad you want one.

I lived in ABQ for a few years. My oldest boy (he's almost 40) was born there.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 05/21/2018 1:55:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  8:43:48 PM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good info Jack! I had a shooter M1A1 that I got reasonable, $800.00, It was a mixmaster. At least it had Correct time frame receiver/barrel and stock, but it needed work.After fixing it, it was a good shooter and fun. As said it was not original, most aren't, but it looked good. 3 yrs ago I sold it at our twice yearly flea market, the whole town is nothing but buyers and sellers, for $2k.I needed a new roof. Point is # 1 looks nicer and #2 looks more used than the one I had. Hope this helps and have a wonderful Labor day weekend.GK

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

69Shelby
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  9:13:22 PM  Show Profile Send 69Shelby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both, great information.
Have a great Holiday weekend as well.
Go to Top of Page

BQ97
Advanced Member

477 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  3:08:01 PM  Show Profile Send BQ97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rear sight on the 3M is a repro.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1034 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  4:21:40 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brian. I thought it looked fishy. What did you think of the 2nd run carbine?

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 05/22/2018 4:24:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2