M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Refinishing & Restoration
 Missing wood just below recoil plate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  6:15:21 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received a Q-RMC high wood stock.
Very happy with it except for the known to sometimes break away piece of wood just under the recoil plate.
Usually it's still there, and an easy fix with some good wood glue.
This is missing, so I need suggestions on a repair.
I don't really want to bed it unless I have too.
My only thought is to put some wax paper on the bottom and back of the recoil plate. Same with a drill bit butt end for the screw hole.
Some JB Weld and slide the recoil plate over the drill bit and slightly compress.
I know this sounds so Bubba! But I know this has happened before.
How do you fix or deal with said problem?
The problem area is not huge, but can't be ignored.
Any good high wood is worth saving. I just want to get it right the first time around and don't trust my idea.
Thanks again.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1047 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  6:33:35 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about this problem. I know you were looking forward to getting your Quality Hardware stock. Your proposed fix sounds okay to me. I suppose you could carve out a piece of walnut and glue it in but it probably wouldn't be as strong and is a lot more trouble. The JB Weld is a good product for this kind of fix, particularly since it won't be visible after the recoil plate is installed.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  7:30:38 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Appreciate the info JackP. Did not want to pester you more on PM's. The stock is nice, very happy with it. Dry as a popcorn fart, but some love and time with some flax-seed oil slowly should bring it around. Love high woods. Just that one missing link. Had it came with the recoil plate, that small piece would still be there most likely.
Bummer! Swept up, or in someones vacuum cleaner.
I will wait to hear more ideas before I jump in. It's really sad in a way. My recoil plate fits like a glove on all points. Just has 2/3rds of the bottom support.
I have seen where they cut and fit the wood to fill in the void below the plate. Mostly on M2 conversions.
I might work on that idea also after the repair. Baby steps for this baby.
You have to look hard with a good light. But it has a faint marking on the (right side) not left where rebuild stamps were put. Looks like US AA or DS AA. ?? Agustia Arsenal is my first thought, just the wrong side. Plus, it is in a rectangular box all in one line? Very hard to tell.
Thanks again..
Go to Top of Page

boomer656
Greenhorn Member

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  05:38:21 AM  Show Profile Send boomer656 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Satanta
.... You have to look hard with a good light. But it has a faint marking on the (right side) not left where rebuild stamps were put. Looks like US AA or DS AA. ?? Agustia Arsenal is my first thought, just the wrong side. Plus, it is in a rectangular box all in one line? Very hard to tell.
Thanks again..

If you can, take a digital photo of the marking using the same angle that gives you the best detail with your eyes. Most photo software will allow you to magnify and adjust lighting to tease out details our eyes just cant discern.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2