M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Unable to disassemble M1 Carbine bolt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  12:57:31 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am ashamed to admit it, but I cannot disassemble my Underwood bolt using my USGI bolt tool.

Here's what is strange I did it easily once before a few years ago using the same bolt tool. Now nothing seems to work. I have soaked it in Brake Cleaner, and Break Free.

I even bought another bolt tool on Ebay and tried that with the same result. Using a punch and trying to drive it out from the back does not work, either.

What is left? I'm thinking of putting it in a vise and trying it with a couple screw drivers. I don't want to break anything, but I'm losing patience. Maybe I should get a replacement bolt? Of course, if I do that, I'll need to buy some gauges to check the head space...

All suggestions are welcome.

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  2:04:28 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had issues like this in the past and determined that the pawl was not pushing the plunger far enough into it's nest to allow the extractor to be removed. Usually, the use of a small flat-pointed screwdriver to assist the seating of the plunger will push the plunger deep enough to gain clearance. In some cases, it's a combination of that and taping the extractor out.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1024 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  2:22:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you tell if the pawl is compressing the extractor plunger spring? If so, then is the extractor able to be moved any? If not, there may be something still contaminating the plunger and maybe more cleaning is required. Be sure you are using the chisel point end of the pawl. The forked end is for reassembly. Make sure the chisel edge of the pawl is tight against the plunger and away from the extractor as you tighten the screw. If it's too far in it will block the extractor from being able to be pushed out. Don't let the edge of the pawl catch the corner of the extractor. When the plunger is compressed just enough to clear the extractor, stop! The ejector does not really have to be fully compressed to get the extractor out. If you screw it in farther, the pawl will slip down and block the extractor. Is the extractor able to be pushed out by hand? If not, there may be a burr on the shank and more force may be required. Once you get the extractor out, the rest is a piece of cake.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  2:28:00 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That may be the case, but neither of two bolt tools is working, and the bolt itself is deeply inserted as far as it will go into the tool. In both tools, the pin is all the way in, so I would think they would push the plunger in far enough.

And I did try pounding it out (gently) from the back with a punch. You can now see where I hit it, and STILL the damn thing will not come out.

When I used the bolt tool a number of years ago, it worked great, the parts just fell right out. This time, No GO.

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  2:40:37 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackp

Can you tell if the pawl is compressing the extractor plunger spring? If so, then is the extractor able to be moved any? If not, there may be something still contaminating the plunger and maybe more cleaning is required. Be sure you are using the chisel point end of the pawl. The forked end is for reassembly. Make sure the chisel edge of the pawl is tight against the plunger and away from the extractor as you tighten the screw. If it's too far in it will block the extractor from being able to be pushed out. Don't let the edge of the pawl catch the corner of the extractor. When the plunger is compressed just enough to clear the extractor, stop! The ejector does not really have to be fully compressed to get the extractor out. If you screw it in farther, the pawl will slip down and block the extractor. Is the extractor able to be pushed out by hand? If not, there may be a burr on the shank and more force may be required. Once you get the extractor out, the rest is a piece of cake.

Thanks. I will give that a try soon. Right now, my wife (she who must be obeyed - LOL) has given me my assignment; raking the yard!

BEYU

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  5:30:25 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just my input. But just maybe the adjustment screw for the ejector needs backed off or screwed in more. I have found this to give problems for me.
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  6:42:05 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not had this issue so it is a puzzle. Is the ejector lined up with the tool pin and properly pushed all the way in? Is the firing pin still loose? Using the flat tip of the pawl not the forked end,
( no disrespect intended. Have done that myself!)? If you do have to drive it out, I would think it would only break the tip of the extractor plunger which would be easily replaced.

Edited by - bonnie on 05/14/2018 6:45:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  6:54:10 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonnie

I have not had this issue so it is a puzzle. Is the ejector lined up with the tool pin and properly pushed all the way in? Is the firing pin still loose? Using the flat tip of the pawl not the forked end,
( no disrespect intended. Have done that myself!)? If you do have to drive it out, I would think it would only break the tip of the extractor plunger which would be easily replaced.

No disrespect received. LOL

The bolt WAS pushed all the way into the pin on each of the bolt tools I used.

I too have used the forked end of the pawl by mistake, but not this time.

Breaking parts is not an issue for me at this stage, since I have bought new ones. And, BY God, if I ever get these out, I'll NEVER put them back in, I SWEAR!

BEYU

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3241 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ejector needs to be screwed in more then it is now with the screw on the bolt tool. That is my take on it and yes I have had this happen before and the ejector was the culprit.
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  7:49:48 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tuna. Check and adjust the screw on the tool for ejector travel. It's there for a reason. The ejector is slotted like the firing pin. Firing pin floats, the ejector needs centered before the extractor can be removed.
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  9:31:18 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked at the screws on the bolt tools first thing. They are both already screwed all the way in.

BEYU

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  07:11:53 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duplicate post...disregard.

Edited by - americanboy on 05/15/2018 3:55:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  07:18:19 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the adjustment screw all way down, look at the plunger and see if the pawl has it pushed all way into it's recess. If any of the plunger is visible, something is interfering with it. With the bolt out of the tool, press the extractor with a screwdriver and see if it will push the plunger all way into the recess. If it won't, there could be some obstruction in the recess. If it will, there is some issue with the way the pawl is interacting with the plunger and it may be not holding you mouth right...LOL. You may have to resort to the vice, two screwdrivers and a neighbors hands to help option to disassemble it to see what the problem is.
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  10:08:33 AM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by americanboy

With the adjustment screw all way down, look at the plunger and see if the pawl has it pushed all way into it's recess. If any of the plunger is visible, something is interfering with it. With the bolt out of the tool, press the extractor with a screwdriver and see if it will push the plunger all way into the recess. If it won't, there could be some obstruction in the recess. If it will, there is some issue with the way the pawl is interacting with the plunger and it may be not holding you mouth right...LOL. You may have to resort to the vice, two screwdrivers and a neighbors hands to help option to disassemble it to see what the problem is.

That will be my fall-back position. I just don't want to ruin the bolt; I don't care about the Dad-Blasted parts, I have new ones I just need to get the @/#$^!!! things out of the $*7//##!!!!! bolt.....LOL

Thanks to all for your good advice. I'll get at it soon!

BEYU

- Benj. Franklin

Edited by - BEYU on 05/15/2018 10:12:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ledge on the extractor where the flat side of the tip of the plunger rests...has to clear the pawl. You (BEYU) are looking at it and none of us are. I suppose we're just guessing, but if the pawl dose not completely seat the entire plunger (to include the nose) the ledge on the extractor will never slide out past the tool pawl.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2