M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 loose fitting bayonet band
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  6:03:02 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a simple way to tighten up the fit on a loose fitting bayonet band lug around the barrel?
I have a Quality Hardware carbine that has a SA bayonet lug band.
Underwood 9-44 barrel that has been replaced in a rebuild. QH serial # puts the receiver at 9-43 or close to.
Since it has the N type 1 front sight on it, and I don't have the tools yet to remove and replace. Which even if I had, I would prefer not to go there. I am looking for idea's to improve my problem.
It has enough room for noticeable movement by eye when assembled, and of course just freely slides up and down the barrel when working on it.
It is of course having effect on accuracy most of all.
I have some idea's tucked away, but don't really like them.
Looking for some input. Thanks..

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3267 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  12:39:26 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like your saying the band is moving left to right back and forth and not up the barrel on it's own? If so then the band spring should be checked to be sure it is securing the band and then the screw assembly to tighten the band down. The screw should be tightened enough to prevent movement as it pulls the band against the barrel and the stock. If tight and it fails to stop the band from moving then a shim or a replacement of the band would be needed. Sometimes a build up of paper or cardboard between the bottom of the band and the stock can take up the play. If not then a replacement would be the answer. But all three of the different front sights on a carbine use the same tools to come off the barrels and go on the barrels.

Edited by - Tuna on 05/03/2018 12:40:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  3:51:24 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tuna for chiming in. From what I'm getting and understanding. I think a replacement is needed.
I compared to my Inland band and lug marked J.M.Q. post war Quality Hardware I assume without looking it up.
4 spot welds and is just plain ole better made.
The band giving trouble tightens up all the way for one. Back the screw out and it only spreads a little. Do the same with the J.M.Q. and it spreads open much more from the tension.
Also the SA band on the lug end. Is just looser on the barrel. There is even a small rectangular stake mark on the top forward end of it. I assume to snug it up? It has only 2 spot welds on it also.
Bottom line -- it needs replaced I think.
Been wanting to get the tools ordered anyway. For the grins of it, depending on what I find for a replacement.
I might end up putting the J.M.Q. on my QHMC carbine. Doubt it though. Post war, is post war.
Thanks Tuna!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2