M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 New Member Introductions
 Another CA Newb
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  6:57:53 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. First thanks for the forum, I have already learned more than the little previous knowledge that I had and now I can pose a question that I have asked on another "not M1" forum.

I have a National Ordnance that has been in my fathers gun cabinet for as long as I can remember and has not been shot since the 80's. It has a serial number of 2XXXXX so I know its from 1960 - 62. I dusted it off, ran a rag through the bore, put a drop of oil here and there and took it out to shoot. I also had to free up the stuck gas piston. Overall it brought back memories, but not without issue.

What I found was that it would fire on safe (lever down), and scarier was that it would pop of 2 or 3 more rounds as I let up on the trigger. I found the issue during a function test before shooting it and it would function normally when off safe.

Upon disassembly and inspection I found that the "barrel" of the safety is way to small for the holes in the receiver, it measures .307", and I can get the safety to function if I push up on the left side of it. When on safe, there is enough play in the trigger to pull the sear almost all the way off the hammer allowing it to go off. The problem is compounded by the edge of the sear being worn down, more than likely by past shooting while on safe.

What I have done so far is order a new sear and spring from Fulton Armory along with a new safety with hopes that it is "fatter" than the one I got.

Is there anything else that I should be looking for?

Here is a photo of the sear:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - arrowshooter on 04/09/2018 6:59:52 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  8:07:35 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

All of my safeties measure between .307" and .310". The hole in the trigger housing should measure between .312" and .314" according to the original Ordinance Department drawing. Perhaps your trigger housing is the problem. I would also look at the arm on the trigger that engages the safety. It may be worn or bent.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  8:15:42 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jack and thank you.

When I install the new parts I will measure the hole. I did look at the trigger arm and it looked straight and the end was still parkerized. If I still have the issue, I am going to consider building up and reprofiling the tip of the trigger arm to gain what I am missing.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3282 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  9:23:56 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes your sear has seen better days for sure. Does the hammer look OK were the hammer and sear meet? Many times when a carbine doubles or more it's a bad sear.

Edited by - Tuna on 04/09/2018 9:24:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  10:42:30 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hammer looks fine for sure.
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  8:48:08 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackp

Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

All of my safeties measure between .307" and .310". The hole in the trigger housing should measure between .312" and .314" according to the original Ordinance Department drawing. Perhaps your trigger housing is the problem. I would also look at the arm on the trigger that engages the safety. It may be worn or bent.

Went in today and measured the hole in the trigger housing and came up with .323" , so Houston has a problem. I just may end up doing an augmentation to the end of the trigger arm after all, but I will still wait for the new safety to show up.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  9:38:51 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, the best way to fix this problem is to replace the trigger housing. Sarco has them for $65.

I fear that the loose safety will be still a problem even with elongating the trigger arm.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  11:52:38 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. I just may go that route for "safety" sake.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  5:10:54 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, is your trigger housing made out of aluminum? If not, what markings are on it, if any? I've never seen one with an over sized safety hole.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  12:14:16 AM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not believe it's aluminum and there are zero markings on it that I can find, inside or out.

Edit: It is magnetic.

Edited by - arrowshooter on 04/15/2018 4:23:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  3:27:05 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackp

Of course, the best way to fix this problem is to replace the trigger housing. Sarco has them for $65.

I fear that the loose safety will be still a problem even with elongating the trigger arm.

So the only thing I know about M1's is what I got. I have seen parts for these things listed as different "types" (T1, T2, ect.). Would a part like the trigger housing be common to all of them?

Edited by - arrowshooter on 04/17/2018 3:28:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  5:50:47 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I received the new sear and safety today. The new safety was smaller than the old one so I used the old one. When I installed the trigger I cut off a piece of 1/8" drill bit and put the trigger, sear and sear spring together as a unit, dropped it in the housing and installed the regular trigger pin which just pushed out the "assembly pin". I then used a piece of string to pop in the hammer spring. Worked out pretty slick.

So far the new sear has the safety working, but there is still too much play by my book. Just for ducks I sent e-Sarco an email asking if they would measure the safety hole in one of their trigger housings for me. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the input above.

Edited by - arrowshooter on 04/17/2018 5:53:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  6:14:55 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
National Ordinance initially used surplus USGI trigger housings. When they were no longer available they began having investment cast trigger housings made by a commercial supplier, Rimer Castings in Ohio. That's probably what you have. It should have had an "R" cast into the interior surface but perhaps it was machined away during the secondary machining operations. There are several different "types" of USGI trigger housings but they are all interchangeable and should work on your carbine. USGI trigger housings are either machined from a single forged billet or fabricated from steel stampings that are copper brazed together and then machined to finish. Either should work on your carbine. Here area couple of links that will explain this in more detail.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

arrowshooter
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  7:24:14 PM  Show Profile Send arrowshooter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you JackP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2