M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 Fulton Armory M1a1 Extraction
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OH58D
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  1:27:38 PM  Show Profile Send OH58D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday and today, took out a new M1a1 Fulton Armory paratrooper carbine to test it out. Ran @ 180 rounds in it and by around the 110th round, started having extraction issues. The fired round would not extract and the new round in the magazine would start to load. It started out intermittent but then became more of an issue as I approached 180 rounds.

I am thinking extractor fouling is the issue. I am running Aguila .30 cal 110 grain ammo and US GI 15 and 30 round mags. Early on I had some Korean PW and u mags but didn't like the way they were loading.

Took it home, field stripped it and cleaned everything up good. CLP to clean then Rem Oil to lube. Hand cycling everything is working good now. So what's the opinion? Take some Rem Oil in the field and lube after so many rounds, or perhaps another issue?

Also, what has been other's experience regarding firing a number of rounds before fouling and extraction becomes an issue?

Edited by - OH58D on 04/07/2018 1:29:30 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  9:43:58 PM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have noticed the same thing from time to time with my Underwood.

I keep a rag in my range bag to give the feed ramp and the bolt face a quick wipe.

It has always (so far) solved the problem.

By the way, IMHO, Aguila is pretty dirty as .30 carbine ammo goes.

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

OH58D
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  11:14:51 PM  Show Profile Send OH58D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took it out again this evening with 3 fifteen round magazines. Got halfway thru the 3rd magazine and encountered the same problem. Extractor didn't pull out the shell. Removed the mag, let the shell slide out and finished the mag.

Let me ask this. How much play should the extractor have? It seems pretty stiff. I've seen online videos where you can take a screwdriver and move it up and down. Very little movement with this one.

Finally, for cleaner .30 carbine ammo, I have heard Sellier & Bellot runs pretty clean. What about American Eagle .30 carbine ammo?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1047 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  11:51:06 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should be able to push the extractor all the way until it bottoms against the bolt wall using about the same amount of force as you would to completely compress the ejector against the bolt face. You probably need to remove the bolt to properly check this. This is the case with a USGI carbine, I don't know what to expect with a Fulton.

Have you removed the extractor to see if there is crud in the bottom of the plunger spring hole that may be making it "stiff"?

As far as ammo, I find Federal American Eagle is not only cleaner but far more accurate than S & B in my carbines.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

42 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  07:27:02 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like PPU... try a box and compare to Aguila - big difference in the amount of carbon showing on the outside of the fired cases... Hope this helps. Currently there have been some good deals on PPU as well...
Go to Top of Page

OH58D
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile Send OH58D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not removed the extractor since I don't have the Bolt Tool yet, and the fact that it is a brand new carbine. I can tell you that this Fulton Armory carbine is very accurate, and the overall fit and finish is good. Kind of expected considering the premium price.

I did soak the entire bolt assembly in mineral spirits and used a toothbrush for finer cleaning. The extractor does move, just real tight. Let me ask; how many rounds does the average M1 Carbine shoot run thru the weapon before and oil or cleaning? I am rather new to the weapon so I am in the learning phase. This Fulton Armory is an addition to an Underwood with 1/44 barrel and a Quality Hardware from @ July 1943.

My plan for the Fulton Armory Paratrooper was to use it as a home defense weapon for the wife. She handles it real well and she enjoys shooting it. Just trying to ensure some kind of reliability with it.
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  2:51:07 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OH58D

My plan for the Fulton Armory Paratrooper was to use it as a home defense weapon for the wife. She handles it real well and she enjoys shooting it. Just trying to ensure some kind of reliability with it.

That's a real beauty of the M1 Carbine, it makes a great HD weapon for the wives or girl friends. Light, compact, and decently powerful at HD ranges with a JSP or HP bullet, it's something that most women find easy to get use to. Much easier to employ than a 357mag, more powerful, and higher rd count. What's not to love about them?

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius

Edited by - COSteve on 04/08/2018 2:51:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  3:37:06 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Respectfully ...

Your decision. At what point would it be best for you and future wife home defense use to call up the manufacture and verbally describe your stoppages. You fix it or the factory?

Return the Carbine for tuning? What would they do? About the only thing I can think of is that once you start to fiddle with the new rifle any warranty will be voided?

Might be the easiest just to return the gun. So many variables. Right now I am thinking long term warranty on the rifle. Or ... perhaps they will talk you through what needs doing.

But that also assumes you have the tools and stuff to tune your own Fulton M1 Carbine. Just me but you should not have to do that. Let the factory do it. Be polite but firm with them.

Just me again. A new build. Things like this do happen.
Go to Top of Page

OH58D
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  11:05:04 AM  Show Profile Send OH58D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning to Fulton Armory is an option. I just got two boxes of American Eagle and I want to try running three or four 15 round mags with that ammo before I go to the next step.
Go to Top of Page

OH58D
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  5:10:52 PM  Show Profile Send OH58D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today, I ran four 15 round magazines on American Eagle thru the carbine and not a single failure to eject. The clean up was also a lot easier than the residue from the Aguila ammo. Just wanted to provide an update and to say I think I have found my brand of choice to shoot in my M1 Carbines.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3116 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  11:34:54 AM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remember that "new"carbines need a breakin period. After some wear-in, it should function well with any ammo.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

OH58D
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  8:15:45 PM  Show Profile Send OH58D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coming from 22 years in the Army, the field strip was the norm for the M16 or M4. I find it hard to resist doing the field strip with the M1 Carbine. A clean weapon has always been your friend. How many rounds would you run thru it before sliding off the barrel bank, and pull it out of the stock for field strip and cleaning?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3254 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  9:00:08 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can do that anytime but just don't take the castle nut off the gas piston. Just leave it alone. Solvent from the bore will take care of the gas chamber and the piston. But a broken in carbine should be good for hundreds of rounds before needing cleaning. Make sure you have a good non steel cleaning rod to help save the muzzle from damage.
Go to Top of Page

OH58D
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  11:18:12 PM  Show Profile Send OH58D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I read about the piston nut being staked as well. I'll leave it alone. Got a good cleaning kit for sure. As a normal procedure, it's CLP Break Free and once clean, some Rem oil. Still getting the hang of reinstalling the Op Rod while getting the bolt positioned just right. Worst part of the whole process when field stripping.

P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2