M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Winchester
 got a Winchester!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  10:07:58 AM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got lucky yesterday! Bought a "Carbine" from a guy, and and it had a scope on it, and the mount covered the rear of receiver so I did not know the manufacture, and it was "glued" on, But it was a GI parts gun and real clean stock etc, so I paid him, to it apart and fist thing I noted was a Fed ord marking on the side of it, I thought oh well it was cheap enough, But looking at the carbine website that stated appox 300 receivers had that as a import mark, So I heated the dang epoxy and popped it off and it was a Winchester!!!!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3282 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  10:47:15 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fed Ord was an importer as well as a maker of USGI type rifles with quite a few of them leaving some things to be desired. The imports would be OK if the receivers are USGI but not if they are Fed Ord made receivers. Many of their made receivers were cast or welded from scrap. Yours being a Winchester is a good thing IF it's not a welded receiver. Check for discolor in the finish as the weld will be a different shade of the finish but being an import it should be OK.
Go to Top of Page

tex
Greenhorn Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  10:36:04 AM  Show Profile Send tex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, I looked, it's not a reweld, The guy I got it from says the guy he got it from built it in the early 80's So i suspect it was one from the PI (the receiver) No marking on the barrel except a small cap S and a flaming bomb and it's a longskirt barrel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2