M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine for Review
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougO
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  07:56:35 AM  Show Profile Send DougO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to get some input on this M1A1 paratrooper carbine. On another forum (see link), I got very mixed reviews and would like to find out the truth about this gun.
Thanks, Doug

You must be logged in to see this link.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3285 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doug, you will have to put a link to your pictures here as we cannot access them on that web site.
Go to Top of Page

DougO
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  4:41:47 PM  Show Profile Send DougO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to post photos on this forum?
Go to Top of Page

DougO
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  4:55:46 PM  Show Profile Send DougO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3143 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  7:58:41 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That stock is fine. Original GI. nothing to get worried about there.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

DougO
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  6:48:18 PM  Show Profile Send DougO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. Any other input on it? Do you need better pictures of anything?
Appreciate the help.
Doug
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  7:31:47 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First run M1A1's were made in 1942-43. This carbine has a Type 5 trigger housing (see oil hole on left side) that supposedly wasn't made until 1944.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  7:48:20 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, not sure about the oiler. All my legit oilers have caps with a checkered knurl. The one in your pictures looks like a straight knurl, like some repros I've run across.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3285 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  1:19:03 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can post the photos here they come out much better then photo bucket. As Jim said the stock is correct for a carbine that was made about April 1943. If you can post photos of the rear sight both sides would be good.
Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  2:46:55 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The photo site is clogged with ads. Too slow. Can not enlarge pics. Sorry I can not help.

Somehow can you provide better pics?
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  5:37:49 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another observation. The hand guard doesn't share the typical M1A1 butt plate ding you get on the left side when you fold the stock. There's a nice big ding in the stock but no corresponding ding in the hand guard. Why not? Check out the closed auctions for M1A1's on the CMP auction site to see what I'm talking about. There are a lot of closeup pictures there. Here's an example:

I agree with the opinions on the other forum that the bolt should be blued and the front sight has been messed with. Everything tells me this is a "corrected" carbine. The parts are genuine (except maybe the oiler) but I do not believe it is "original" as it left the factory. Still, it's a very nice M1A1.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 03/13/2018 5:39:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

DougO
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  1:14:15 PM  Show Profile Send DougO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the input. Wish I knew how to post the photos here. Any rough idea on value would be appreciated. Thanks, Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2