M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Bolt popped out edit:SOLVED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DontMessWithTexas
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  6:49:44 PM  Show Profile Send DontMessWithTexas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm new to the M1 Carbine scene. I just acquired an Inland Mfg M1 from my uncle who got it from someone else. If i'm reading the serial number diagram right it was end of war production in Jan 1944. That's seriously cool, but the damn thing was sporterized with a 4x40 hunting scope (i'm going to work on fixing that later).

Anyway, I knew the thing was dirty when he gave it to me and I should know better, but I was so excited I went straight to the range. I put maybe 4-5 magazines through it. On the 5th, I pulled the bolt back to chamber and the damned bolt popped out.

I guess I just need to know why this might have happened so I can prevent it.

Any help or information for a newcomer is welcome. Thanks and Gig Em.

Inland Div #5019921
TAMU C/O 16

Edited by - DontMessWithTexas on 03/31/2018 10:10:52 AM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  8:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

On many carbines, it's possible to inadvertently disengage the operating slide from the receiver by pulling it away from the receiver as you are charging a new round. This could allow the bolt to disengage from the slide. Some slides are looser than others depending on the amount of wear they have sustained. In some cases you can actually remove the bolt from an assembled carbine this way. It is not uncommon for this to occur. Just re-engage the slide with the bolt and receiver and avoid pulling it away from the receiver when charging. If it really bothers you perhaps you could find a newer operating slide that is less likely to exhibit this problem. However, even a new slide and receiver combination can be made to disengage if enough sideways force is applied. Fortunately this is not likely to happen during the normal cycle of operation (ie. when a round is fired). As you become familiar with the disassembly of your carbine you will better understand why this can happen.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  10:12:04 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But first thing you do is to strip it and clean it. A little bit of grease on things that slide and oil on pins and springs. You can wash the stock if it's just dirty with soap and water. If oil soaked then something like Formbys furniture stripper will do the trick. It will remove old incrusted oil and grease without any damage to the stock. Now as Jack said when you work the slide just pull it straight back with no lifting up on it or pulling to the side. Once your finished it will shoot better and look better.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  7:41:45 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always hold the slide handle down when cycling the action; never pull upward on it. IF it comes off when the firearm is being fired, that is a different problem.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  09:48:04 AM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Already answered better and thank you all. Just pull straight back on the slide charging handle. Easy to learn and do. Enjoy. Sorry about the scope. How does the scope mount on your new to you Inland Carbine?

If the scope mount takes the place of that rear sight, then all you need to do is remove the scope and mount and find and buy a type 2 milled adjustable rear sight. Cheap kinda. Always available. Then install the sight.

Right to left. But ... if the scope mount mounts to the receiver by some big holes in the left side of the receiver then you can still remove the scope and mount but you will have those pesky holes left. No big deal either.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2