M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 Internet Carbine Story
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phred
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  3:48:18 PM  Show Profile Send phred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was scanning the Yahoo news stories, and found this bit on the Carbine. Many stories on the Carbine are filled with errors, but this one wasn't bad. Just thought I'd pass it along.
Phred
You must be logged in to see this link.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

HB of CJ

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  3:59:42 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just scanned that interesting article. Sounds, reads and feels like something lifted right out of a magazine article years and years ago. Again I just breezed through it.

Not too bad as M2 disinformation goes. It is possible I have my long term obtained M2 information slightly different but it does not really matter. A very good description.

It has been over 70 years now. We were fighting a horrible war. The M1 and later M2 Carbine were expedient designs mass produced with interchangeable parts. They did well.

The M2 Carbine may or may not be the first true assault rifle. A literary stretch. Perhaps another way to describe the platform is as a very powerful usable sub machine gun.

My 14 years old grand daughter can hold on target with a full mag dump firing from the shoulder. The range must be short, (25 Yds) and the target torso sized. No better.

The M2 is not perfect. It has its very own things one needs to know and understand. The parts must work. Good safe ammo is needed. And ... a very deep $WALLET$. Much fun. :)

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

64 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  12:59:00 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son and I have shot both the M2 Carbine and STG-44 at Dragonman's MG shoot in Colorado Springs (as well as the PPsH-41 and other light MGs) and as the owner of 2 M1 Carbines, I can honestly say that even though the M2 is much lighter than the STG-44, it's easier to keep on target in full auto. Not that precision firing is the intent of a full auto weapon, but rather the M2's crisper and lower cycling mass made it easier to keep on target.

As a Tank Commander in RVN back in the late 60's with my own M-2 50cal (in addition to the 90mm main gun), I'm over any awe of automatic fire so the idea of owning a personal 'bullet hose' where I'd have to pay for the ammo isn't of interest. But it was fun to share my son's first experience with automatic weapons fire; especially when he shot the ma duce!!

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2