M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 Slide pin or retainer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2017 :  7:18:36 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My slide pin has a hard time holding the bolt open on my Inland dated 1-44. It has the Type 6 slide in it.
Not the end of the world by far, but would like it to work better than it does.
It doesn't take much of a bump to let it fly. Kinda aggravating when doing a quick clean of the barrel after a trip to the range.
I'm sure the pin should be replaced, but the receiver looks like it could use a little help also where the pin locks in? (Maybe?) hard to believe with so little use.
Any ideas would be welcome before I try something I regret.
Easy fix it to just use a empty mag with a follower cut. But I would like to improve on the problem.
Thanks....

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  06:37:58 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always considered that design as the weakest link in the gun. I don't own one that I'd risk sticking my finger in with the slide-lock engaged. It's just an interference-fit. There is no spring-release in the feature. All the spring does is sort-of push against the plunger to offer some degree of resistance to hold it in place....barely. I just ignore it. I'd rather not have the extra parts-n-pieces to have one that functions.
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  09:20:54 AM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The slide lock was a simple and not very reliable design. I would replace the spring and slide stop. The parts are cheap and easy to replace. I would leave the receiver alone.

For a quick barrel clean I hold the carbine in one hand and a pull a bore snake through with the other hand. As long as I don't bump the carbine the slide "usually" stays locked back.

Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  10:06:50 AM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When cleaning my carbine, I put a 2 inch x 5/8 inch wood dowel in the chamber and close the bolt on it when cleaning the barrel. I've never had the bolt snap closed on my finger that way.

Incidentally, I always keep the carbine upside down (mag well and trigger group up) to avoid solvent running down into the gas piston.

I leave the dowel in the receiver and clean all around it, only removing it when I clean the bolt face. Then I am relying upon the slide pin to hold the bolt open. At that point, I am careful of my fingers.

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  6:40:31 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all again. I feel better now that I'm not alone with this frustration. Think I'll just leave be for now and forever. No big deal really, was just hoping I was missing some little trick to better.
Thanks BEYU for the hint. I was aware of the piston thing and it always bugged me. One of those times you can't see the trees fore the forest. I could say senior moment, but won't go there heha.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  8:56:24 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys it doesn't take long to take a carbine apart to clean it. Take off the slide and remove the bolt and have at it. If cleaning fluid gets down into the gas port to the piston it will not hurt anything. The first round fired will burn off anything left in the piston chamber. It is good if fluid does get in as it helps keep the gas port open and clean. Now the slide lock pin. If you look at it and see that it is worn then look at the back side. If better shape then take a pair of pliers and gently holding the pin rotate it 180 degrees and see if it's not a bit better.
Go to Top of Page

BEYU
Advanced Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile Send BEYU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tuna

Guys it doesn't take long to take a carbine apart to clean it. Take off the slide and remove the bolt and have at it. If cleaning fluid gets down into the gas port to the piston it will not hurt anything. The first round fired will burn off anything left in the piston chamber. It is good if fluid does get in as it helps keep the gas port open and clean. Now the slide lock pin. If you look at it and see that it is worn then look at the back side. If better shape then take a pair of pliers and gently holding the pin rotate it 180 degrees and see if it's not a bit better.

Sometimes the most simple approach is the best one, isn't it?

Thanks, Tuna!

BEYU

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benj. Franklin
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:14:40 AM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take my regular shooters apart twice a year at most to clean and lube. Other then that after shooting I pull a bore snake through, an occasional bore brush and wipe down the outside. Did that for many years CMP match shooting.

With other guns I shoot only rarely I strip and clean before putting up.
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tuna, I will give that a try.
Maybe I over clean? Maybe I just want to tear down and inspect due to not understanding.
My normal routine after a short trip to the range is to clean barrel and cartridge chamber.
But when I look closely with a good light, I always see very minute little sparkles of shinny that hang in the oiled area.
I'm new to this, and always hear that happens. Brass I assume?
Me being a life long mechanic. Making metal is always a bad sigh.
Maybe this is something I need to get over? The color is not metallic, just looks like brass.
Just over concerns me I guess. Brass is soft, but dust is also abrasive.
I might be going overboard on this, but it does raise the question in my mind.

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  5:13:06 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it's brass-shavings and you'll have to get over it...LOL.

I am have been guilty of over-cleaning my guns, but I'm getting better. They were not made to be ripped-apart on a constant basis. In time, you'll wear-out disconnect notches and screws thru constant manipulation. It just depends on how it's used and under what conditions.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  11:24:58 AM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick fix for the slide pin.....Remove it and carefully file the bottom of the pin square (flat). They frequently get slightly rounded and then they fail to hold the bolt back. A sharp clean edge on the bottom usually cures the problem.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  5:12:55 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I will give that a try next time I tear it down. Any improvement is better than none.
Thinking back. I had a type 4 slide in it before. It was not stellar, but better than when I installed the GI type 6 slide. It came with pin and spring, I never looked at it closely, just checked it for function.
Heck, I would of had to go ten paces to get my reading glasses. My bad.
Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  3:03:31 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
jinb16 nails it and thank you. Pull the slide hold open pin and file it smooth. Then hold it in cheapo forceps or needle nose pliers and heat over any tiny flame to dull yellow. Drop into some water. You have just re heat treated the dinky thing. Polish clean. Use some instant cold blue. Rinse. Oil up. Reinstall with original spring. Yep ... leave the receiver flat alone.

Does somebody somewhere have and sell the complete set of dinky pins, springs and goodies? Sarco used to but they are back ordered. A small bag of needful things? Carbine parts are still quite plentiful and cheap. Amazing for a 70 year old platform. We just run a damp brush down the bore followed by a couple of patches. Brush off the bolt face. Oil up heavy.

Edited by - HB of CJ on 12/10/2017 3:04:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fulton Armory has a pretty good selection of small parts and springs. Not a bag of goodies, but (usually) I find what I need. The $10 shipping always stings when an envelope and stamp would be just fine.
So I usually wait till I need something else. Tools, bluing, cleaning, etc.
I've always been happy with the quality and customer service has been good also.
They missed a carbine bore mop on one order. Took care of it with the shipping in a box UPS. Funny!
Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2