M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 NOE 311-121-RN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daboone

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  08:34:33 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just received a NOE 311-121-RN 4 cavity mold from NOE. I will be casting the first batch today. I plan on sizing some to 308 and some to 309 and the powder coat this test batch for the M1 Carbines. I also will PC some unsized for the SKS. Will be loading some tomorrow for this weekends shoot. I can't shoot yet but I do have a friend and a son who are willing volunteers.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

HB of CJ

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may consider slugging your bore and finding out your exact bore size. Then size your cast bullets to fit. We ran .310 and even .311 diameter old automotive wheel weight lead bullets in High School. But ... this was in 1965. Yikes!

Let us know how your cast bullets shoot and print. We did not run gas checks. Considered way too expensive back in the day. Is your production pot 220 or 110? Reason I am asking is what you are doing is what I want to be doing. Fun!
Go to Top of Page

daboone

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  06:24:50 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have slugged both the Inland and the Rockola. The Inland has a new barrel. But the reason I sized down more than necessary is because of adding the PC. I've been shooting Bayou Bullets which are sized to .309 and they worked well in both guns. I think these carbines will do better if larger. Will be finding out tomorrow which color shoots better.

I have to Lee Pro 20 and my friend runs a Lee 10 lbs pot. For the run we did we ran mostly mix WW and scrap lead I had collected. Not to concerned about the BHN because of the PC. Certainly none of the stuff in the pots was more than 16 BHN. A lot of folks dislike the Lee pots but I've been using mine for 15 years and it's still working well. It does require cleaning once in a while. I also have a PID controller on mine. Which is convenient but not as important as it used to be because I now PC every thing but the 9x18 Mak for my Bulgarian Mak. Don't mess with that perfect fit combination.
Go to Top of Page

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

42 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  07:10:33 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How are you doing your powder coating? I do commercial quantities of lead jig heads with powder and use a dedicated air bed cup for the coating process (provides a pretty even coating without any more than is needed. All of my heads are subsequently baked for 20 minutes at 350 degrees to harden the coating a bit...
Go to Top of Page

daboone

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  09:04:45 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do the shake-n-bake with HF powder coat. It's not picture perfect quality, just easy, inexpensive and functions well.
Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent subject matter and thank you. :)
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3143 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  6:32:06 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my PC from a commercial coater. He had some left-overs that he sold me CHEAP! I cast at .309 then PC and use as is. I shoot the Lyman 130 gr. Works fine in my carbines.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2