M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 M1 to M2 Conversion Kit value
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canamer
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  8:39:57 PM  Show Profile Send Canamer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm new to this forum and new to the M1 Carbine. I need advice on how to value a registered M1 to M2 Conversion kit. An older friend of mine is getting up in age and ready to sell his to me. I have spent the past 2 evenings searching for kits for sale to try to benchmark but have only found 1 or 2.

The kit is currently in a Postal Meter GI M1, which he will also sell. I'm told the kit was put together by Springfield Armory. Not the current Springfield Armory that sells the M1A. Here again, I'm not up to speed on the different Springfield Armory's over the years. I was told that the kit was assembled from original M2 parts, then serialized and registered by Springfield Armory and sold as a kit. When I spoke with him I didn't know enough to ask if it was a T17 or T18 kit. And honestly he is forgetting details so he may not remember. It would be helpful if someone can point me to info on how to tell the 2 kits apart.

He has a tax stamp for the kit although I have not reviewed it yet. Can anyone explain the best way for me to research a fair value for the kit? If there are threads in this forum I'm happy to search for them, but it would help if someone can recommend the search terms.

Thanks in advance!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

lemaymiami
Greenhorn Member

39 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  05:31:07 AM  Show Profile Send lemaymiami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a recent thread on the topic of conversions - the folks that posted here might be your best source of value on that kit...

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Canamer
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  4:56:39 PM  Show Profile Send Canamer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks lemaymiami. I had previously found the thread you recommended but didn't read all of it. Now I found a reference in there that USGI M2 Carbines are going for $8 - 12K. From other threads I piece together that registered kits are very similarly priced??

Doing Google searches I saw some websites with references to kit prices in the $3500 - 6000 range. It sounds like that is wishful thinking in 2017?? Anyone?

Edited by - Canamer on 09/30/2017 5:01:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3230 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  10:16:07 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest I have not yet seen any M2 trigger pack for sale at $3500. Some at $6K to 7K or more.
If you can get a registered pack for the $3500 then your ahead of the game. Now you have to get the proper paper work.(the US government only functions with more and more paper work. Once you have completed the forms and he has completed the parts he needs to do then you send them in with your finger print cards and your check for $200. Then you HURRY UP and WAIT. Then one day when your now much older and gray haired you get the noticed that they have decided that 1. You not a terrorist. 2. That you have more money then you know what to do with it all. (ammo costs a lot of money.) 3. Your giving some of that money to the government for the privilege of owning a fully auto weapon. But you finally get the OK to transfer ownership from him to you. So now a year or so later you have your new toy, you need many cases of ammo and don't forget that you need many magazines to load. So good luck with your endeavor.

Edited by - Tuna on 09/30/2017 10:16:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

HB of CJ

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  11:40:28 PM  Show Profile Send HB of CJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canamer: welcome to the forum. The first thing you can do is just obtain and view the actual tax stamp or a copy of the tax stamp. It will just be a piece of 8 1/2 X 11 letter head paper with the actual large blue green canceled postage stamp on the top right hand corner.

A copy of the stamp is also good to look at. You can make copies. I do. Read down and see what exact part is described. Might be a receiver, the "rocker" (trip lever), rarely a trigger housing or slide or even possibly a switch or disconnecter block assembly.

You said he has either the T17 or T18 military conversion kit? I do not know which is which. BUT ... if it is a genuine military conversion kit, then that transferable kit may be more valuable to M2 collectors. Some transferable parts are more valuable than others.

Receivers can and do wear out. So do some parts. My trigger housing is more valuable because there are no moving parts. Also quite rare. The LEAST valuable part might be a very rare hammer or switch. Then might come the disconnecter block. Then the rocker.

If the tax stamp does not list the exact part and sometimes they did not, then you will have to drop the trigger housing group out of the gun and check for a BATFE ID number somewhere on one of the aforementioned parts. Must be stamped or etched somewhere.

Overall value? Dunno. Be sure the actual part is a real deal genuine USGI part. Fakes exist and can break or wear out fast. A M2 over stamped US Postal Meter Receiver would be worth more money? I do not know. I am a shooter and not a collector. Ball park value?

If a genuine USGI part and the tax stamp is real, depends upon the specific part and condition. Anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000. Quite a price range. One would have to let a M2 Carbine guy examine the tax stamp and part. Collector value. Shooting value. Different.

Hope this helps. Clear as mud. The rules on M2 Carbines are varied, many and gray. All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply
Go to Top of Page

Canamer
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  10:10:21 AM  Show Profile Send Canamer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tuna & HB for the value info. Unfortunately double the cost I was hoping for but I should know better. Fortunately I work in the defense industry. I met my wife at work and she works with the ATF on a day to day basis. From her experience I completely expect the paperwork to be confusing and time consuming, but fortunately we have a lot of resources (including an industry attorney) for support.

We have plenty of gun dealers here in Arizona that deal with machine guns. My friend with the conversion kit is not technology savvy. I don't think he owns a computer or a cell phone. He will let me inspect everything, I just have to drive across town to do so. I'm going to propose we go out and shoot it so my wife can see what it is like and make an educated decision on the purchase. Then we can go to a dealer and let them help us establish a fair price.

I'll follow up with a post if we decide to go through with it. Thank you to everyone for supporting a forum where newbies like me can get good information!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2