M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 Removing Varnish from Stock
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

M1 MAC
Greenhorn Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  12:45:49 PM  Show Profile Send M1 MAC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guy's,
Lucked out and found an all original Rock ola at the gun shop last week, they said an elderly woman brought it in..looks like an old DCM rifle..has original stock but looks to have a coat of varnish on it...any ideas on a good remover?
I will see if I can figure out how to post pics and do a thread on the Rock Ola page.
Thanks for any ideas on the stripper..
Mike

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3155 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  9:53:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Formby's furniture stripper. It will remove the varnish and the old dirt and oil imbedded into the stock and won't hurt it at all. You can clean it as much as you want with it. Then once clean you can then apply a coat of raw linseed oil to help protect it. Just do a small are of the stock at a time so you can remove all the old finish. Paper towels work.
Go to Top of Page

M1 MAC
Greenhorn Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile Send M1 MAC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tuna..I will try that.
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  6:49:29 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tuna

I like Formby's furniture stripper. It will remove the varnish and the old dirt and oil imbedded into the stock and won't hurt it at all. You can clean it as much as you want with it. Then once clean you can then apply a coat of raw linseed oil to help protect it. Just do a small are of the stock at a time so you can remove all the old finish. Paper towels work.

I agree with using Formby's. Have used it for years on old wood stocks. It is stiff stuff so follow the directions. Use it outside with rubber gloves and glasses. The green kitchen scrub pads lightly used work well. When done I let the wood set for a couple of days before oiling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2