M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 Marking on rotary safety
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Budster
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  2:59:20 PM  Show Profile Send Budster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recently new member and new owner of first M1 Inland carbine. My safety has what looks to be ss in circle but with an N stamped over it. I have been reading about manufacturers marking and found info on the ss marking but nothing I can see on the over stamping with N. Please can anyone clear up? If someone addressed this before I apologize for being redundant.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  3:28:40 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I frequently see these for sale on Ebay for the same price as just the "SS" so I don't think it's rare. Sometimes it's stamped "SS" on both sides with the "N" stamped over on one side only. Likely another variation of a post war flip safety.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

BQ97
Advanced Member

477 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  6:43:02 PM  Show Profile Send BQ97 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Budster

My safety has what looks to be ss in circle but with an N stamped over it.

Just so you know, the SS in a circle is stamped over the N.
Go to Top of Page

Budster
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  7:46:53 PM  Show Profile Send Budster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you BQ97, what is the significance of the ss being stamped over the N ? Are these manufactures marks? Is this safety a real post war refurbishment part or a bad reproduction? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Budster
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  8:06:57 PM  Show Profile Send Budster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[url][You must be logged in to see this link.] This is picture of safety, It sure looked like the N was stamped over the ss.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  10:10:54 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it looks like the "N" was stamped later but BQ97 knows this stuff. Perhaps he will expound on the circumstance of this marking. I'm pretty sure both "N" and Circle "SS" are not reproductions but rather post war replacement parts.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  05:27:28 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no one would repop a flip safety, they are literally a dime a dozen, just about all being post war as only Inland and Winchester used them during the war, late of course.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  07:18:48 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one and see them on carbines often. Saw one on an Inland this weekend at a gun show. They are mil-spec and fit snugly in the TH. Some of the aftermarket commercial cast junk doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

Budster
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  2:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send Budster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank everyone for your imput. I am glad it is a good part. I want to also say I am glad I joined this form. It is nice to know you are willing to share your knowledge with a newbie like me. Hope in future I can help someone also. I just started collecting military rifles and have a lot to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3265 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  7:18:06 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Made late war as a replacement and used post war for upgrades during rebuilds.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2