M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 Proof ammo?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weimar_police
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2017 :  7:15:34 PM  Show Profile Send weimar_police a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked this up today, wish the box wasn't written on, but overall I liked it.
Got it for $20, which I thought was a steal.

Several questions;
1. What is the Proof Gallery Gun Shops?
2. LC under Winchester control or ammo made by them for Winchester

Ed

Edward Tinker
Author of Veteran Bring Back Vol I and also Vet Bring Back Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's. http://www.simpsonltd.com
Co-Author of the book "Simson Lugers", http://www.simsonlugers.com

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

daboone

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  08:50:19 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I googled this: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

weimar_police
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  09:06:08 AM  Show Profile Send weimar_police a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks, I usually google things, and just did not yet.

The box is the same as shown in the first posting, but with photobucket now screwed up, millions of pictures for posting threads are now difficult.

I think these are LC 43 put into this proof box.

Edward Tinker
Author of Veteran Bring Back Vol I and also Vet Bring Back Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's. http://www.simpsonltd.com
Co-Author of the book "Simson Lugers", http://www.simsonlugers.com
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3281 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  09:06:14 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, those rounds are not Winchester nor are they proof rounds. Someone used the box to put Evansville Chrysler rounds in it. Steel cased and by the looks of them starting to corrode. If they had been proof rounds you would not want to fire them as they are loaded to a much higher pressure and could damage a rifle if enough as fired in it. The dents on the primer is from being loaded in a chamber. The firing pin in the bolt was pushed back by the loaded round as it chambered causing the dent in the primer. The area of any place that was proof firing was called a gallery. Each carbine maker had this as did each armory when a carbine was rebuilt and reproofed.

Edited by - Tuna on 08/19/2017 09:08:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

weimar_police
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  09:10:19 AM  Show Profile Send weimar_police a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I would not shoot proof loads? I answered my own question on the LC vs WRA and can see they are corroded...

I do like the box, and wish the penciling was not there. I probably should have bought the second box they had.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3281 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, My mistake. I looked at the head stamp real quick and it appeared to be EC but it is LC. Yes those brass rounds are stating to corrode and could be from the powder in them changing with age.
Go to Top of Page

weimar_police
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  8:04:25 PM  Show Profile Send weimar_police a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, understand - hope I did not sound like I didn't like what I was hearing
I will look closer, I was thinking it was steel cased and not brass?
Did they make steel cases like the 45 acp's in 30 carbine?
Go to Top of Page

daboone

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  07:10:52 AM  Show Profile Send daboone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tuna

...... The area of any place that was proof firing was called a gallery. Each carbine maker had this as did each armory when a carbine was rebuilt and reproofed.

I like to learn learn something new very day. Thank you for easing that learning curve today!

I thought Gallery Loads were more of a plinking load. I have a trapdoor 1888 Springfield I sometimes load with round ball. There are also call gallery loads by the black powder writter Paul Matthews.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3139 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  8:14:37 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure those aren't steel cased Eau Claire cartridges? I have a couple of proof rounds and they are 147 Gr. spire points to be loaded singly. They have the same bullet as the M1 rifle round.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3281 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  10:02:31 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For 30 carbine, the EC was for Evansville Chrysler. It does look like the case is stamped EC but the slight brass color can be seen on the case head and they do look like steel cases with the corrosion on them. But then again EC used that color sealer on the primers during their production of the steel cased carbine ammo and the .45 acp. But as Jim said the proof rounds were all loaded with the 150 gr FMJ spritzer made for the 30-06 rounds. The ones pictured are the standard 110 gr. FMJ carbine bullet.
Go to Top of Page

weimar_police
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  10:35:08 PM  Show Profile Send weimar_police a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will try to remember to take some pictures of the box of ammo and also clean one or two up

thanks much

ed
Go to Top of Page

weimar_police
Greenhorn Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  1:26:39 PM  Show Profile Send weimar_police a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Appears to be steel cases, as they are magnetic

Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3139 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  6:54:07 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mistook! You're right Tuna; Evansville Chrysler. I was thinking .30-06.....

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2