M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 Inherited M1 Carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jakedog
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  10:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jakedog's Homepage Send jakedog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I inherited this Carbine from my father in law. I've been trying to find out the manufacturer and date of manufacture with no luck. My father in law carried this gun in Korea, I was told that WW2 Carbines were re-issued by the Army to Korea soldiers and Vietnam soldiers too. The serial # is 200534, it has mark, anyone recognize any of these...

Rear site: I.R.CO.
Front site: 5
Magazine: K.I.
Strap band front: J.M.Q.
Ejector: M with small WA up the side of the M
Also, there is a name under the rear site I can't see all of it, I can see the first 2 letters NA (I think) and INC. under the name.

Any assistance in finding out the manufacturer and date of same would be greatly appreciated, thank you... I tried to post pics but had no luck sorry.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

hunterman1
Advanced Member

190 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile Send hunterman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The serial number indicates it was made by Inland Division of General Motors. "Inland Div" is under the sight. I think it was built sometime in early 1943 but others here can give you specifics on date of manufacture. Is there a date or marking on the barrel near the front sight?
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3282 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  8:02:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Built the early winter in 1943 around February or so. The #5 on the front sight is it on the left side? And is the top of the sight marked IPN?
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3142 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  8:54:16 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, but I don't think so. NA and INC below it under the rear sight?? NAT. ORD. INC. Commercial copy built using a lot of GI parts. He may have carried one like it, but not that one. Those were produced between 67 and 71.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

jakedog
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  9:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jakedog's Homepage Send jakedog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for clearing this up for me jimb16, I'm sorry it's not authentic but I'm glad we know the real story on it... Thanks again. And thank you to the rest of you guys too, sorry I brought you a fake...
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  06:42:11 AM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3142 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  12:25:22 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing to be sorry about. Many of us have commercial copies. Some are very good shooters and some are not. Many folks use them for shooting and "preserve" the originals for history sake. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Jim Mock has a great web site that has a ton of info on commercial copies.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2