M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Contractor Specific Discussion
 Inland
 Early Inland Carbine Handguard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

FPrice
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  08:17:33 AM  Show Profile Send FPrice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking at an early Inland which appears to be a "mixmaster". Now that is not necessarily a bad thing but I am curious about some of the parts.

The handguard is a perforated plastic (I believe) replacement. Does anyone know anything about these handguards in general? We believe that it is a post-war replacement.

It also has the later style adjustable rear sight rather than the leaf-style.

And the barrel is marked "General Motors 1944" but I think that the manufacture date (serial number 244,xxx) is much earlier.

We have not been able to tear it down because the bolt has disengaged from the operating slide (we think from improper re-assembly). I have volunteered to take it apart to check this out but the current owner wants to do it himself and will let me know.

Assuming no damage from the last AND a decent barrel, any general comments on this potential purchase?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

shadycon
Veteran Member

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  08:37:30 AM  Show Profile Send shadycon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would give it a "VERY" close inspection and determine exactly why the bolt is out of the slide. Disassembled!

M1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSMG's-R-MORE-FUN!!!!!
ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN!!
Go to Top of Page

FPrice
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  08:44:09 AM  Show Profile Send FPrice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is my intent. I know what we "assume" but I want to be vary careful. The problem is that I don't think that we have anyone around here locally who I think could analyze any other source of failure. Although we do have a pretty good gunsmith nearby who my be of some use in this.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  08:57:09 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out this video. It might help the current owner reengage the bolt.

You must be logged in to see this link.

BTW, welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

JackP
Go to Top of Page

FPrice
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  11:33:52 AM  Show Profile Send FPrice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jackp,

Thanks for the video and the welcome.
Go to Top of Page

FPrice
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  2:44:47 PM  Show Profile Send FPrice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this in another thread also, but I did not get this carbine. Did not pursue it and someone else pulled the trigger.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2016 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2