M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 300 Blackout (slow 1050 fps, heavy bullet ) loads?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smaug
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  06:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Send smaug an AOL message Send smaug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know if someone has tried to work up a load that cycles that uses a heavy bullet running subsonic speeds - 1050 fps or so? Within the pressures the Carbine is designed for, of course! I've seen conversions back in the 1960s and 1970s of all kinds of caliber conversions, (some of which actually worked!). But with the growing interest in the 300 AAC Blackout for the AR platform,I was wondering if anyone had worked up something similar for the trusty old Carbine?

Randy

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  08:56:54 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is only a suggestion, as I have not worked-up a load for this projectile. I have worked-up loads for lighter projectiles...like an 86-grain Mauser bullet. I'd say weigh the projectile and go to the data tables for that weight bullet in a 7.62 x 33 case. Like any other load, start low and work-up. You'd need to set it deep enough to chamber, but not deeper than you would using the 110-grain bullet. What projectile weight are you considering? Hodgdon lists data for 80, 100 and 110 grain projectiles.

Edited by - americanboy on 08/06/2017 09:04:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3285 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  10:04:43 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of a heavy bullet at slow speeds has been tried and rejected. The rate of twist with the carbine is not good for a heavy bullet and does not stabilize it well if at all. The case would make it to have to be seated very deep into it to work from the magazine leaving little space for powder.

Edited by - Tuna on 08/07/2017 10:17:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3143 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  6:32:11 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For any hope of stability with a heavy sub-sonic you need a twist rate of 1:8 or faster. I load a cast 230 gr for my 300 BLK. My AR has a 1:8 twist. I don't see why it couldn't be done, but it would need to be a single shot as the cartridge OAL would be too great.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

smaug
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  10:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Send smaug an AOL message Send smaug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hard part would be to strike a balance between charge and bullet weight within the pressure parameters for 30 Carbine. Perhaps a cast 160~180 gr would be heavy enough, and leave enough powder capacity for some kind of reasonable charge depending on the powder. Also have to take into account powder pressure curves. This is all just a mental exercise for now; Once the brain storming is done we may get some consensus, we'll see. Maybe somewhere near the ball park, at least in the parking lot... don't expect to hit a home run. I think looking back far enough at the different cartridges that came before, even pistol cartridges, there may be a hint of what I'm looking to see. But I think asking the question was the first public step.

Randy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2