M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 New Member Introductions
 Input for Universal Carbine feed problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  6:58:31 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello: Glad to be a new member and look forward to hearing all.
First off, I'm 64 and have always loved the carbine from the movies as a child.
My first an only purchase has been a Universal, #165165
Yes, the USGI would of been the correct choice. But money did not allow and the learning process began.
I'm very happy with it. Had my problems with the slide break and feed problems. Both I have overcome. The feed mostly, and the slide?
We shall see as time goes on.
I would like to share the feed problem I found. Most is in the magazine.
USGI only or the Korean mag.
But the problem that is missed, is the sloppy fit for the mag release.
Lots of movement up and down, especially on the left side. Hence the cheap trigger housing by Universal.
It will not feed proper, and if you notice, it's usually on the left side. I did the unheard for a test run. JB weld with a good bond.
Problem solved, and holding well till I find another solution.
Gravity and the sloppy fit does not grab the round like it should.
Moving on, I would like to check my feared, out of battery problem that I keep hearing about.
Where can I get a dozen primed and cut casings?
Looking forward to the learning mostly, but willing to share my input of knowledge also. Although it will be small, it might help someone down the line.
I am very happy with my Universal Carbine so far. Has close to 1,700rds ran though it since purchase.
Looking forward to being part of the group, and have no problem hearing the negative. Just not 100%. I've seen, not owned. Some pretty crappy USGI carbines. Ownership with love and care, goes a long way.
Thanks everyone...

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  05:52:37 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Satanta. There is a section here on the forum specifically for commercial carbines and maybe a thread in that section will draw more interest. If your Universal was an early gun with a lower serial number, you'd have more options with a generation 1. The generation 2's and 3's seem to be more problematic, but they have a following. USGI magazines will likely never fit that gun properly. The later Universal polymer magazines were larger. So large that they will not fit a USGI carbine. I'd look for some Universal specific magazines and that may help with the feeding issue. 5-round polymer magazines do turn-up on auction sites.

Somewhere along the line Universal redesigned the bolt utilizing a spring-loaded firing pin and eliminated the safety features built-into the USGI carbine to prevent out-of-battery discharges and slam-fires. I've not seen any data that supports improved safety due to this redesign one-way-or-another. I'd say that as long as the gun is cleaned and routinely inspected, chances of a slam or out-of-battery discharge will be reduced. This firing pin retention system has been and is still utilized in many firearms today.

Edited by - americanboy on 08/01/2017 08:43:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  5:21:41 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks amercianboy for you reply. The GI mags work great in my carbine, it's the aftermarket like ProMag that give trouble. As someone else said, they make good paper weights. The two I use now are stamped AI and made by Autorye Co. for GM Inland Division. The other is stamped SY-B made by IBM. I discovered my feed problem when I noticed all worked fine with the mag resting on a sandbag. So I started looking closer and saw the the mag catch/release was a sloppy fit in the trigger housing. Really loose on the left side. It lets the mag drop down just enough to cause problems loading the next round on the left side. The trigger housing is Gen 2 and aluminum, with poor machining. I took it apart, got my smallest bit and my dremel. Cleaned the surface and put some JB Weld in the low area, and carefully filed till I had a nice solid fit. It now feeds nicely without problems. How long the JB will last or stay, I have no clue.
It's not like it's a high stress area, and also of course depends on the prep work for the bond.
It did, if nothing else. Solve the problem and now I can work on a replacement or some other solution.
I think mine is an early Gen 2. It has the stamped slide, not the GI as Gen 1 had, and of course the aluminum trigger housing.
So hard to tell exactly, all records have mostly been lost, and parts do get changed. Serial # is 165165
I know it's not the Gen 3 for sure. The bolt does not have the spring on the firing pin and it does seem to have most of the safety features for the out of battery. I have never had a problem, but if you do. It's too late.
I understand the only true way to test, is to install primed casings in it and see if it will fire out of battery. Position the bolt just short of locked in, and drop the hammer. I think it's fine, but would like to know for sure. That's why I was asking where a person might get a handful of primed and cut casings.
I've seen the mags you talked about. I'm pretty sure they were for the Gen 3 and maybe late Gen 2. Universal started going downhill after Gen 1, and by the time they got to Gen 3, their production costs were lower, profits were higher. But they were making junk, dangerous junk.
Wish I would of got a true USGI carbine, but this one will do for now. I do tear it down once a month, clean and inspect. Knowing well the bad name they have. Besides the fact, I enjoy doing it. But I also have seen tons of threads on people that just love their Gen 1 of course. All USGI parts, but also the Gen 2.
Thanks again Sir for the reply. I will be getting more involved with the other forum you suggested.
My idea's and input from others on the Universal does not travel far in the introduction section.

Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  5:45:06 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a gen-1 in my collection and it is a very good weapon. It was early enough to be full of GI parts and mine has a Winchester bolt. I don't know where the break-point was at which a GI trigger housing would not exchange with the aluminum "box" type and it may have been in the transition to the gen-2 starting around 94XXX. I know I have seen GI housings mounted in stocks that formally had the box style and the box style started maybe as early as the 20-25XXX range. Butt-ugly but they must function.
Go to Top of Page

Satanta
Advanced Member

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  9:44:23 PM  Show Profile Send Satanta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again americanboy. I hear the same, the swap can be made, but as you said, butt ugly with the square box cut. I also hear the pin that holds it might need a little mod on some. No big deal there.
As long as the JB holds, I'm good and solid for now.
Looked at the post you mentioned. Was glad to see you in there giving support to the better half of the Universal carbines made.
Sounds like us Universal guys are beating our heads against a wall.
No biggie, I'm in... Did the same with guitar forums. Gibson vs Epiphone. Gibson owners would not touch the Epi. Great guitar for a third of the price, and Gibson owns Epi.
Go to Top of Page

jimb16

USA
3142 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the GI mags work fine but the commercial mag doesn't try tweaking the feed lips. That is usually the problem.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  05:42:51 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Satanta

Looked at the post you mentioned. Was glad to see you in there giving support to the better half of the Universal carbines made.
Sounds like us Universal guys are beating our heads against a wall.

I am not a proponent of Universal carbines in general and they turned out a lot of junk that I wouldn't have as well. One needs to cherry-pick the lot. I would never consider owning one with a serial number north of 20XXX and I'll want to strip anything I consider to see what's inside. Like most of of the early commercial manufactures, Universal made some good guns until the USGI parts dried-up. The two commercial carbines I own have forged steel receivers and are 100% GI compatible. However, neither are as accurate as my 75-year old Underwood shooter. I think if one condemns the Universal lot in general, they may be missing-out on a very reliable carbine that will last the average shooter a life time for $500 and under. I just shot an Armadillo with my Iver Johnson not 30-minutes ago....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2