M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 Replacing extractor, spring and plunger
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jefe
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  08:25:06 AM  Show Profile Send Jefe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have M1 carbine w/ approx. 2200 rds thru it.
Decided to try TULA steel case ammo.
On 16th rd of Tula, extractor broke, spring and plunger went bye- bye.
Yep, I guess that they are right about NO steel cased ammo in carbine.

I have a commercial carbine bolt tool. Broke the commercial plunger assy (Pawl?) forked end off trying to get plunger and spring in place during assembly of bolt.
Bought a new GI plunger assy (Pawl) on ebay (guys in Netherlands and France selling NOS- they are both GTG).
Using GI part (assembled w/ no issue on commercial tool), assembled bolt w/ NO problems. The new part had perfect orientation to get plunger and spring back in place etc.

U Tube has an excellent tutorial how to do. Alpharubicon website has good directions how to fix bolt w/o tool.

Edited by - Jefe on 07/11/2017 1:52:43 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

COSteve

51 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Junk commie steel cased ammo in an M1 Carbine? Blasphemy!!!

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai 1984
Go to Top of Page

Jackp

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only time I ever used steel case ammo was when my son bought some for his AR. I knew that he would have problems. The first round jammed in the chamber after firing with an extractor shaped chunk broken out of the rim. We were lucky enough to be able drive the empty case out with a long brass rod. I guess the AR extractor is pretty tough. Never again!

JackP
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  12:25:52 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one of the commercial bolt-tools and it's served me well. I have discovered that one has to make sure the plunger is "started" in the hole or it will bind and then likely break a tooth if you keep on cranking. Maybe the GI tools are better, but used with care, mine seems to be holding up. Some plungers just slide right in and others need a little coaxing or they will try to go in crooked. You can also pick-up just the jaws as replacements.
Go to Top of Page

Jefe
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  1:48:03 PM  Show Profile Send Jefe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Americanboy- yep, "one has to make sure the plunger is "started" in the hole or it will bind and then likely break a tooth if you keep on cranking".

I found that the GI plunger assy part (Pawl?) ($12-15 on ebay) assembled easily on the commercial tool. And w/ the GI plunger assy (Pawl), the correctly oriented plunger and spring did not bind on the hole and break a tooth (as w/ the commercial plunger assy.)

Edited by - Jefe on 07/11/2017 1:51:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  6:05:07 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steel case ammo is for commie guns NOT your classic M1 carbine. Also keep a spare pawl on hand for your tool as well.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2016 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2