M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 Minimum case length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

myname
Advanced Member

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  12:17:55 AM  Show Profile Send myname a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trim cases to 1.280 or just over. Sometimes I find shorter cases just under 1.280 So at what point should I decided to throw them out for being too short?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  04:35:05 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They will likely shoot just fine. It will depend on the head-space of the particular gun. A good tight gun may never notice. A lose gun on the edge of maximum head-space may not fire, if the firing-pin can't reach the primer. If the extractor claw will hold it...it should shoot if it's short.

If I only had a few, I'd fire them and see if they will stretch-out to 1.28+ on the next sizing, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Edited by - americanboy on 07/05/2017 05:21:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

myname
Advanced Member

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  09:55:40 AM  Show Profile Send myname a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks americanboy. I think I am going to change my trim to length to 1.285 in the future. I have lots of .30 carbine brass, but I hate to be throwing it out when it ends up being too short after a couple of reloading cycles. My loads are lower power 4227 12.5 grain loads so I should be able to get more than a couple of cycles out of my brass.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  10:32:39 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same thing happened to me early on when I was using an inferior trimmer. I did shoot some that were below 1.28 without incident. I NEVER take a trimmer setting for granted when I use it the next time. The instructions may say to do this or that and you'll wind up here. I pay no attention to that and run a test on the first few rounds when I do trim. I start at the top and work my way down in .001 steps until I arrive at a 1.285+- on the first case and I will measure one now-n-then as I trim to be sure everything stays-put. Anal....maybe, but carbine brass is relatively expensive and you need to be able to reload them multiple times to make reloading pay-off.
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3155 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  11:16:52 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1.285 is where most factory loads are for case length.
Go to Top of Page

myname
Advanced Member

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2017 :  10:27:58 PM  Show Profile Send myname a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. I adjusted my Lyman case trimmer back out to 1.285. For what it's worth I have been very satisfied with that trimmer once I found out they had a cutting head that would trim and chamfer at the same time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2