M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General M1/M2 Carbine Discussion
 Interesting Find at Eisenhower Library
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

COSteve

63 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  11:58:37 AM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During a recent driving trip to to the east and back from Colorado where we stopped by Ft Knox to visit the Patton Museum 47 years to the month after I mustered out of the Army there in June, 1970, visited friends in South Amboy, NJ, saw 'A Bronx Tale' on Broadway, and visited the Finger Lakes of NY for wine tasting with them.

On our return drive, we visited Canton's Football Hall of Fame, Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Indianapolis 500 Museum, and a bunch of state capitals (my wife's big thing since we've retired). The last place we stopped at was in Abilene, KS to visit the Eisenhower Presidential Museum and Library. During our visit to the museum on the grounds I spotted an interesting M1 Carbine (lowest pictured below).

Note that it looks to be almost like a shotgun but in fact it is an Inland Suppressed M1 Carbine. I never have seen anything mentioning that Inland produced some prototype suppressed carbines during the war but it sounds like a great idea. It's described in No. 3, below.

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius

Edited by - COSteve on 10/28/2017 12:39:20 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  12:43:25 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you saw was one of six Inland carbines that were sent to Enfield in England in 1944. The attempts to silence a carbine here were not successful out of about 9 designed tried. The Enfield carbines were all modified to single shot rifles and the action had to be operated by hand. The barrel was cut down to 10" long, the rear sight replaced and a standard front sight was used on top of the silencer. It worked in that only a sight piff was heard when fired but it got hot if more then a few rounds were fired. Accuracy was OK and penetration was much lower then a normal carbine. OSS tried for over 2 1/2 years to get the silencer program operational but over all it just did not come about. There is another one like this one at the Springfield Armory museum. But any way one looks at it a rare critter for sure. Hard to find one let alone pictures of one of the Enfield carbines. Thanks for posting it Steve.

Edited by - Tuna on 06/14/2017 12:51:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

rg1911

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2017 :  2:47:22 PM  Show Profile Send rg1911 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely understand why the action had to be operated by hand. When I stuck a suppressor on one of my carbines, the back blast when the action cycled darn near blew my glasses off. An interesting experiment that will not be repeated.

Cheers,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

COSteve

63 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  2:04:49 PM  Show Profile Send COSteve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suppressors and semi-auto actions other than blow back 22lr aren't good friends in any sense. The large back pressure created to muffle the sound makes for dirty blowback in a semi-auto with no real way to avoid it.

Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2