M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Ammunition & Reloading
 Starline Nickel Plated Brass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jski
Greenhorn Member

49 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  11:15:50 AM  Show Profile Send jski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are the pros and cons with Starline's nickel plated brass?

It comes at a premium; is it worth it?

I'm primarily interested in reloading for my revolvers + M1 Carbines.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

jimb16

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  4:48:24 PM  Show Profile Send jimb16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found over the years that plated brass is harder and more brittle than plain brass. It is shinier and doesn't need cleaning as often, but doesn't last as long.

OGCA Lifer,NRA Life member, son of a 325th GIR Glider Rider
Go to Top of Page

jski
Greenhorn Member

49 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  10:31:29 PM  Show Profile Send jski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read that nickel's surface acts almost as a lubricant and make the cycling process in autoloaders more reliable. And in revolvers, it makes the spent case less likely to stick in the chamber.

Admittedly, different metals have different surface properties and maybe that gives the edge to nickel?

Edited by - jski on 06/06/2017 01:16:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3191 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  10:51:48 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people have poor experiences with Nickel plated brass. Some of the rifle calibers are horrible with the coating. I have had nickel cases in .243 Win. .257 Roberts and 7x57 that have worked out excellent for me. The 7x57 cases have been reloaded so many times the nickel has finally worn off the case but the cases are still good. Yet a friend of mine had cases in 30-06 that did not last very long and were splitting on the second and third firing. But even with nickel you still have to lube the case when reloading and make sure that your dies are clean as you can scratch the nickel finish just as easy as you can brass with a dirty die. But in a carbine I think Jim is right. Plus you have to still trim and measure each time you reload so if there is a savings with the nickel plated brass in 30 carbine I have not seen it.

Edited by - Tuna on 06/06/2017 10:53:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2