M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 A Lonely O
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
341 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  11:52:04 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Underwood has a lonely "O" stamped in the sling-well. You can almost create some characters after the O and there may be an I in there...I can't tell. My assumption is...it doesn't matter? From what I have read, S.E. Overton used both the O and an OI for Inland and no other stock manufacture used an O anywhere. You think I can call it an S.E. Overton and be done with it?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Tuna

3254 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  4:43:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless it can be ID as an Underwood stock then call it what ever you want. Does it really matter and make the carbine shoot better? I would guess not.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
341 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  4:59:37 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Tuna...no it doesn't really matter now does it. I guess we can simply consider a stock as a piece of wood holding a gun. You know as well or better than anybody else here that carbine research is interesting. If it wasn't, hardly anybody would ask a dumb question like this now would they?

Edited by - americanboy on 05/28/2017 03:58:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

cali201

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile Send cali201 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh captain my captain.....
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
341 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just in case anybody is remotely interested. I discovered the O is likely a Q and the manufacturer is Rock-Ola for Quality Hardware. The marking is Q-RMC.

Edited by - americanboy on 05/28/2017 04:00:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  12:45:34 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by americanboy

Just in case anybody is remotely interested. I discovered the O is likely a Q and the manufacturer is Rock-Ola for Quality Hardware. The marking is Q-RMC.

Very good!
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
341 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  2:44:25 PM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of us can search and find answers on the forums and sites available. In some cases, things aren't clear and you put it out there for the knowing that have seen this B4 to help with identification. In this case, an O is historically correct as an Inland subcontractor identifier as is OI. A forum member ask for a picture and was able to note that the Rock-Ola markings for Quality Hardware were usually very light and inside a block. They were able to confirm my mark was a Q in a box most likely followed by -RMC. I was expecting an I after the O, but have some jumbled characters that obviously form the -RMC.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2