M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Maintenance & Troubleshooting
 Inland M1 carbine stovepiping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack Straw from Wichita
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  7:13:58 PM  Show Profile Send Jack Straw from Wichita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

My Inland carbine frequently stovepipes, and I'd appreciate some input as to what the cause might be.

Some background:

The carbine is all USGI, and has been in my family since the early 1960s. I have lubricated it per the Fulton Armory owner's guide.

I'm using USGI 15-round magazines, which run fine in my other carbine (a CMP Service Grade)

It eats Armscor FMJ fairly reliably, but Prvi Partizan, Sellier & Bellot, Cor-Bon DPX, and Hornady Critical Defense all have stovepipe problems.

The ejection pattern appears to vary. The first few shots eject at about 4 o'clock, and as it warms up, ejected brass works it way around to about 1 o'clock. My CMP carbine ejects at 4 o'clock consistently.

So far, I have replaced the recoil spring, ejector, ejector spring, extractor, and extractor spring. Replacement parts are from Fulton Armory. The stovepipe issue still remains.

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

bonnie
Advanced Member

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  7:51:49 PM  Show Profile Send bonnie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some things to look at:
Is the gas piston nut tight?
Scrub chamber with solvent and 9mm bore brush.
New recoil spring should be around 10.25 inches in length.
Also look at the rear of the bolt and the face of the hammer where these parts contact during recoil. Both should be smooth, no burrs, etc.

Edited by - bonnie on 05/23/2017 8:05:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  8:07:11 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you have two USGI carbines on hand you might try to switch parts between them, one at a time, to see if the problem follows a part. Start with the bolt, then the slide, then the TH assembly. Good luck.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  8:44:42 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to follow up my previous post (I got called away), if it follows the bolt it's probably the extractor (yeah, I know you replaced it already). If it follows the slide look for a bent or damaged slide, possibly dragging on the stock? If it follows the trigger housing, maybe the hammer is binding. Like Bonnie said, double check the recoil spring. It must be USGI, 10.25 long. Commercial "extra strength" springs are more likely to cause more problems than they fix. Again, good luck.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3281 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  9:24:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The majority of the time it's the extractor that is failing causing stove pipes. If the extractor is OK then look at the ejector again. If that seems to be OK then measure the recoil spring as Jack said. Be sure it's a USGI spring and not an after market that is one of the high speed or extra strength. They are not worth anything and cause all kinds of problems. Just ask Jack or me how we know. Oh yeah I know.
Go to Top of Page

Jack Straw from Wichita
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  10:29:11 PM  Show Profile Send Jack Straw from Wichita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll report my results as soon as time permits.
Go to Top of Page

Jack Straw from Wichita
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  9:34:25 PM  Show Profile Send Jack Straw from Wichita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't think it was going to take a month. Don't you hate it when life interferes with your hobbies?

Anyway, I did the following:

- verified that the gas piston nut is tight

- cleaned around the gas piston area

- scrubbed the chamber

- Replaced the chrome silicon recoil spring (9-3/4" long) with a USGI spring (10-1/8" long).

- Lubricated per the Fulton Armory M1 carbine manual.

Reliability is noticeably improved with Armscor FMJ and Remington Core-Lokt softpoint. Had a couple of stovepipes which were due to the magazine. Didn't have a chance to try other brands of ammo.

The ejection still has me puzzled. The first few rounds will eject between 3 and 4 o'clock, but as more rounds are fired, it will start ejecting between 1 and 2 o'clock. My other carbine reliably ejects between 3 and 4 o'clock regardless of the number of rounds fired.

Next trip to the range, I'll swap bolts between the two carbines and see if that affects performance.
Go to Top of Page

americanboy
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  10:37:58 AM  Show Profile Send americanboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've heard all the good suggestions, but I'll mention one of them again. I did not read in your above post that you had addressed the extractor issue. If you have not changed it, clean under the hook with something like a dental pick. I've found that area to build-up carbon deposits...it needs to be really clean. If you make a change, bring the good spring and plunger along with the new (replacement) extractor. Bring the new (replacement) ejector and plunger along as well. If the ejector is not pushing the empty out...it will stove-pipe. I can only add that in my years of semi-auto weapons experience, some guns just prefer certain ammo. I see where you have better results with Armscor, which likely means that the Armscor is a strong reliable round, which it is for me. If it functions well with certain ammo and not with others, it's either an ammo issue or something is dragging on the action. Anything that gets in the way of the bolt, hammer or slide will cause extraction/ejection issues. This includes the hammer-spring. All these issues will "follow" a component group...like already mentioned here..bolt group, trigger group, main-spring, slide...etc.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2