M1CarbineForum
M1CarbineForum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 Gas Piston Nut ID. Single Slot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rickplayer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  12:35:38 PM  Show Profile Send Rickplayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found two of these in a box of parts. Aftermarket?

Edited by - Rickplayer on 05/13/2017 12:36:07 PM

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a Howa Machine Ltd. part made in the '50's and '60's. Okay if you stake properly.

JackP

Edited by - Jackp on 05/13/2017 4:53:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  9:44:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hummm the castle nut doesn't look like the ones I had on two Howa carbines I had. Both of those used castle nuts just like USGI nuts.
Go to Top of Page

Jackp
Veteran Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  10:12:32 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check Jim Mock's commercial carbine web site. He shows this exact same piston nut.

You must be logged in to see this link.

JackP
Go to Top of Page

Tuna

3229 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  09:58:18 AM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup he does but be advised that when the 4000 were imported from Canada, many had to have parts replaced on them out in the land of Fruits and Nuts. Many had USGI parts installed on them from stocks to trigger housings. The one thing they are had in common was the bayonet lug was removed. Now to be honest with you both of mine were early ones under two hundred serial number wise. Both had USGI style nuts and staking on them with no evidence of replacement. At some point they may have had used up the parts they had on hand and switched over to one they made. Remember that during the Korean war, Howa had a contract with the US military as a rebuild and repair facility in Japan. There they refurbished M1 rifles, carbines, 1911A1's and of course BAR's. All parts were supplied by the US military. It was most likely that Howa had many left over parts when they got the contract from Thailand and the machinery from the US government to make the carbines.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2