Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Discussion
 Identification & Photo Reference
 need help identifying HOWA carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  3:17:30 PM  Show Profile Send 2zcreek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to find out about my HOWA M1 obtained in late 1960's. It still has the paper on the sling attachment and has only fired approx. 20 rounds. It still looks new!

I've looked at Howa Machinery Ltd. M1 Carbine
and there is a similar one at the bottom of Part I: Japan, Howa, & the M1 Carbines.

also, how do I upload pictures to this post?

Edited by - 2zcreek on 04/06/2017 5:06:28 PM

Google AdSense

Mountain View

989 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  4:39:19 PM  Show Profile Send Jackp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the Carbine Forum from New Mexico!

For some reason I get a "404" error when I try to look at your pictures.

Maybe you have already seen this web site but if not it has a pretty good article on the Howa carbines.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

3217 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  7:24:12 PM  Show Profile Send Tuna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Howa carbines were all made as part of an order from Thailand. The US did not have any extra carbines to send them as what was available was going to Vietnam. The carbines were made using some USGI machinery but all parts do interchange between them and a USGI carbine and about 10,000 were made. The bayonet system is different but it was made from an experimental system the US military had tried out but was not used as it was hard to update earlier carbines. The rear sight while a flip sight is also adjustable for windage. The only makings as to who made the carbines is the latter H on the bottom of the barrel receiver area. Only about 4000 finally came into the country till killed by Billy Clinton. These carbines were brought into the country to California from Canada and will be importer marked on the right rear of the receiver in small print. They are excellent quality and rival or better any carbine made anywhere else. Many were never used and were imported as new but used. Some needed parts and stocks before being sold and there were done using USGI parts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M1CarbineForum © 2007-2017 M1CarbineForum Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2